iOS 4 (formerly iPhone OS 4.0) for iPhone and iPod Touch will be released tomorrow, June 21. So, it’s time to get ready your iPhone and iPod Touch for the next big OS update i.e. iOS 4.0. We have listed everything you need to ensure that your iDevice is ready for the iOS 4.
Check if Your Device is Compatible
First of all you need to identify your device. Here is how to:
Here’s is what you’re getting tomorrow:
- iPhone 3GS: Full iOS 4.0 Update (Except iPhone 4 specific features)
- iPhone 3G: Partial iOS 4.0 Update (No multitasking, wallpaper and bluetooth keyboard support due to slower hardware)
- iPhone 2G: No iOS 4.0 Update
- iPod Touch 3G: Full iOS 4.0 Update (Except iPhone specific features)
- iPod Touch 2G: Partial iOS 4.0 Update (No multitasking, wallpaper and bluetooth keyboard support due to slower hardware)
- iPod Touch 1G: No iOS 4.0 Update
Download iTunes 9.2
Backup your iPhone/iPod Touch
Before going for the firmware update, it’s always advisable to backup your device first. You can backup your iPhone/iPod Touch data by Syncing with iTunes. Also make sure you backup your Camera Roll photos.
Update and Manage Your Apps
It’s also a good idea to take screenshot of your current apps arrangement before restoring the firmware. Also take screenshot of all the jailbroken apps you’ve installed from Cydia along with the Cydia Sources.
Developer has to update their apps to make them compatible with iOS 4.0. So, more and more apps updates will appear in the App Store. Make sure to update your apps to make them compatible with iOS 4.0.
Update/Restore iOS 4.0
You can either Update your iPhone/iPod Touch firmware or restore the firmware via iTunes.
- Update: Updating to iOS 4.0 will keep all your settings in place. Fine for those running the Stock OS.
- Restore: Restore the firmware, wipes out everything and set up iPhone/iPod Touch as a new device. Good for jailbroken devices.
Use the comments section to ask questions.
With the release of iOS 4.0 new jailbreak and unlock tools will also surface the scene. We’ll be posting detailed guides on how to jailbreak iOS 4.0 and Unlock iOS 4.0 as soon as the hacking tools are out. so Stay Tunes at iPhoneHeat.com.
Update 1: Download iOS 4.0
Update 2: Jailbreak iOS 4.0
Update 3: Unlock iOS 4.0