Jailbreak iPhone 3GS iOS 4 GM with PwnageTool

msft.guy has release PwnageTool bundle for iPhone 3GS on iOS 4. Using these PwnageTool bundles with existing official PwnageTool 3.1.5 will let you create iOS 4 GM custom firmware for iPhone 3GS. So, you can jailbreak iPhone 3GS iOS 4 GM while preserving the baseband so that you may unlock iPhone 3GS with BlackSn0w or UltraSn0w.

jailbreak 3gs ios 4msft.guy is the same guy who modified BlackSn0w unlock to enable support for iPhone 3.1.3 05.11.07. It’s very easy to jailbreak iPhone 3GS iOS 4 with PwnageTool using modified bundle. You only have to add msft.guy’s PwnageTool bundles to the official PwnageTool and then you’ll be able to create iOS 4 GM custom firmware.

***This guide is for Already jailbroken iPhone 3GS users only (Jailbroken with redsn0w, PwnageTool, Blackra1n or Sn0wbreeze NOT Spirit). and works on Mac OS only. This works for older BootRom 3Gs only [How to: check iPhone 3GS BootRom] else you’ll end up with 16xx error.

WARNING

• These are not Official PwnageTool bundles released by the Dev-team.
  • If you’re new to the game or do NOT know what you’re doing, better wait for the official PwnageTool to come out.

Disclaimer: Follow the Steps at your own risk. We cannot be held responsible if anything goes wrong.

Let’s jailbreak iPhone 3GS iOS 4 GM by creating PwnageTool Custom Firmware.

Jailbreak iPhone 3GS iOS 4 GM with PwnageTool

Update: PwnageTool 4 is out now. You can follow the jailbreak guide here:.

STEP 1 – Required Stuff

STEP 2 – Add Custom Bundles to PwnageTool

1. Extract the downloaded iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_bundle.zip.
  2. Right Click on the PwnageTool.app and click on Show Package Contents.
  3. Then navigate to the following directory: Contents>Resources>FirmwareBundles and copy the extracted iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_bundle.bundle into FirmwareBundles directory.

STEP 3 – Add New Cydia to PwnageTool

1. Right click on the downloaded RedSn0w jailbreak and go to Show Package Contents.
  2. Go to: Contents>MacOS and copy the Cydia.tar.gz from that folder to your desktop and Extract it.

Now copy the extracted Cydia folder to PwnageTool.app. To do that:

1. Right click on Pwnagetool.app and ‘Show Package Contents’.
  2. Go to : Contents > Resources > CustomPackages and then Right click on ‘CydiaInstaller.bundle’ and ‘Show Package Contents
  3. Go to: Files folder and overwrite all the files with the ones you just extracted from redsn0w. That’s it.

STEP 4 – Create Custom iOS 4 Firmware

Now that you have modified the PwnageTool.app, it’s time to create custom iOS 4 firmware with pwnageTool for iPhone 3GS using downloaded iOS 4 GM. If you don’t know how to, follow the guide linked below to create Custom firmware with pwnageTool,

How to: Create Custom Firmware with PwnageTool

STEP 5. Restore Custom Firmware

Once you’ve created the custom firmware (CFW), Put your iPhone 3Gs into Recovery/Restore Mode and restore your device via iTunes with CFW. That’s it.

Have fun with iPhone 3G iOS 4 jailbroken!

You can follow us on Twitter, Join us at Facebook, and also Subscribed to RSS Feed to receive latest updates on iPhone 4, iPod Touch and iPad jailbreak and iPhone unlock stuff and iOS 4.

Also Checkout:

nima June 9, 2010, 2:41 am

this doesn’t work for me i get the unknown error number 1600.

Mike June 9, 2010, 12:31 pm

I have the same Problem! – any Ideas?
thx for the help

Ali June 9, 2010, 5:23 am

Don’t we have to download the beta version of iTunes?

Junky June 9, 2010, 12:47 pm

Also restoring in “Normal Mode” using iTunes 9.2Beta doesn’t work!

itunes is hanging at “Preparing system for restore”, nothing happens!

Any hints?

Thx

Usman June 9, 2010, 1:18 pm

will it work on iphone 3gs with new bootrom 359.3.2?

techguy June 10, 2010, 10:53 pm

I think you just answered yours and ever one prior to yours is question
june 21 its coming

Kaizoku June 9, 2010, 6:17 pm

Can you please upload custom firmware for it? I do not have a mac. thanks.

Hien Nguyen June 9, 2010, 10:52 pm

i have problem with unknown error number 1600.

Flashbax June 9, 2010, 11:26 pm

Same thing happens to me, keep getting the 1600 error. Any ideas?

1600error June 10, 2010, 1:57 am

To everyone getting the 1600 error. My 3G-S was on 3.1.3 firmware jailbroken with Spririt. I tried DFU, recovery mode, regular restore, nothing worked. Then I downgraded to 3.1.2 stock firmware because I noticed somewhere it said pwnagetool doesn’t support 3.1.3 non-jailbroken (and since Spirit is a userland jailbreak, basically the firmware itself is still stock).

Once I was on 3.1.2 I tried DFU, recover, regular again and still nothing worked. Finally I tried jailbreaking the 3.1.2 with redsnow (which is a full jailbreak) which worked, then did a regular restore in iTunes (i.e. just plugged in phone and option-clicked restore) to install the pwned 4.0 GM.. AND IT WORKED! I’m looking at my jailbroken 4.0 GM 3G-S right now :)

Hope this helps some people, I was trying for hours!

iPhoneHeat June 10, 2010, 2:02 pm

Thanks for the input.. Some important missing info added

Junky June 11, 2010, 12:16 am

Really? Are you able to post your Bootrom Version? So maybe you just had luck! ;-) Would be great, if this procedure would work on newer MC models! Please be so kind and post it!

KrispPL June 16, 2010, 7:32 pm

Did I understand you correctly:
You did restore Pwnaged 3.1.2 and again jailbroke it with redsn0w to restore then Pwnaged 4.0 GM?

iPhoneHeat June 16, 2010, 10:29 pm

why to jailbreak with RedSn0w?? Simply go for CFW iOS 4.0 GM (created with PwnageTool) and use BlackSn0w RC2 @baseband 05.11.07

KrispPL June 21, 2010, 11:08 pm

Because it doesn’t work.

As I said at the bottom, iOS is starting but Pwnage doesn’t hactivate it and iTunes asking me to put original simlock carrier simcard. Many people have the same problem but Google doesn’t know that ;)

iPhone 3GS 32GB MC133B BB: 05.11.07

KrispPL June 21, 2010, 11:12 pm

Forget it. Doesn’t work either. iTunes still requires simcard activation.

Allen June 22, 2010, 2:52 pm

Thanks a ton, man! Saved me countless hours, I’m sure. BTW, I used redsn0w 0.9.4 to JB from 3.1.2… the beta in this article doesn’t work.

I’ll leave it as an exercise to the user to find info on downloading, and find a copy of 0.9.4, but even the slightest googling should work. Note that downgrading requires 3.1.2 SHSHs on file with Cydia, and when downgrading, a 1015 error is NORMAL. Just close iTunes and run redsnow 0.9.4.

vollazh June 10, 2010, 3:28 am

same problem here

iPhoneHeat June 10, 2010, 2:03 pm

Guide updated… read the 3rd paragraph

tested it already June 10, 2010, 3:30 am

i tried on iphone with updated boot rom (purchased 1/2010) and no luck. If i dfu it gives me auto error if i put in restore it hangs.

config
imac s/l 10.6.3
itunes 9.1
pwng (latest from here)
iphone4.0gm 3gs
custom 4.0 (unchecked activate phone, made root 1024 mb and installed open ssh on custom install)
updated baseband <——– might be what is stopping me… 05.13.04

any help would be appreciated.

Junky June 10, 2010, 10:21 am

I think it only working on 3GS with the old bootrom. Not working an newer phones like MC models! If you formely have to jailbreak using spirit, this procedure JB will not work.

Junky June 10, 2010, 10:27 am

From Redmondpie:

“Supported Device(s):

iPhone 3GS ONLY, with older bootrom which has at least been jailbroken once with either redsn0w, PwnageTool, Blackra1n or Sn0wbreeze. If your phone is one of those with newer bootrom, and has only been jailbroken with Spirit, this is not for you. You will end up getting 1600/1604 error when restoring the custom cooked firmware via iTunes.”

Costee June 10, 2010, 9:57 pm

Where can I get the PwnageTool bundles for iPod Touch 2G? I want iOS 4!

iPhoneHeat June 10, 2010, 11:48 pm

If it’s an MB model .. you can try RedSn0w 0.9.5b5.. checkout the iPhone jailbreak category

didithu June 16, 2010, 8:53 am

When will be Pwnage Tool bundle for iPhone 3GS on iOS 4 for windows?

KrispPL June 16, 2010, 7:18 pm

Doesn’t work :(
iOS is starting but Pwnage doesn’t hactivate it and iTunes asking me to put original simlock carrier simcard. Many people have the same problem but Google doesn’t know that :)

iPhone 3GS 32GB MC133B BB: 05.11.07

Demberel June 19, 2010, 11:39 am

is there anyway to update 3GS MC model with 05.11.07 baseband and jailbroken with blackrain?

Allen June 22, 2010, 1:55 pm

Can anyone define “older” bootrom? I have “359.3″. Is that “older”?