RedSn0w 0.9 final is now out and available for download. The iPhone Dev-Team released the final version of RedSn0w 0.9 after getting good feedback for RedSn0w 0.9 beta 3, released a couple of week earlier. The final version of RedSn0w 0.9 comes with jailbreaking iPod Touch 3G and IPSS tethering support as well.
RedSn0w is a cross platform tool to jailbreak iPhone and iPod touch, unlock iPhone (2g only) and customize iPhone/iPod Touch by changing boot and recovery logos. RedSn0w is an iPhone jailbreak tool just like BlackRa1n, PwnageTool and Sn0wBreeze. These all tools does the same thing; Jailbreak iPhone, jailbreak iPod Touch but unlike Sn0wbreeze and PwnageTool, RedSn0w does not create a custom firmware to jailbreak the idevice.
RedSn0w 0.9 Final release supports:
- All iPhones and iPod touches (still a tethered-only Jailbreak for late-model models of iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 2G and iPod touch 3G that means you need to connect these devices to a computer to complete the boot after a reset. Also, these devices cannot have custom logos.)
- firmware 3.0 and 3.1.2
- Windows and Mac OSX (x86)
It will also soon run on the PPC OSX, and Linux platforms.
If you need a carrier unlock, redsn0w will handle iPhone 2G by itself (by installing our BootNeuter utility). For the 3G and 3GS, use Cydia after you’re jailbroken to install ultrasn0w (baseband 04.26, preferred) or blacksn0w (baseband 05.11).
Download redsn0w 0.9 final
How is it different from blackra1n?
– It offers custom logos and verbose boot
– It installs Cydia, afc2, and the IPCC tethering hack without needing separate downloads. Because they’re all installed in one go, redsn0w doesn’t need the multiple levels of installs that blackra1n requires.
– It uses their original Pwnage bootrom exploit for iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, and iPod 1G. (Because it’s a bootrom exploit, it can’t be fixed by Apple without a new hardware release.) Note that redsn0w 0.9 does use the USB exploit for iPhone 3GS and iPod 2G+3G running 3.1.2, but that exploit will be fixed in Apple’s next FW release.
What is the IPCC tethering hack?
It allows you to install cellphone Carrier Bundles that aren’t officially signed by Apple. This lets you, for instance, install a Carrier Bundle that allows you to use your iPhone as a way to connect your PC to the internet (through your 3G cell connection).
Remember if you have a late-model iPhone 3GS, or if you have an iPod touch 2G whose serial number begins with “MC”, or any iPod touch 3G, you can use redsn0w to jailbreak but you are currently restricted to “tethered” rebooting. That means you need to connect your device to a computer to complete the boot after a reset.
Download RedSn0w 0.9.6rc16 (Jailbreaks iOS 4.3.3)