iOS 5.1.1 firmware update is available for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. In this guide you’ll learn how to update to iOS 5.1.1. Hit the jump for detailed steps to update your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch to iOS 5.1.1 firmware.
IMPORTANT: iPhone users depending on UltraSn0w or Gevey SIM unlock must stay away from restoring stock/official iOS 5.1.1 because it will update your iPhone baseband and you won’t be able to unlock your iPhone, may be forever.
iOS 5.1.1 is available for the following iDevices:
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3GS
- iPod Touch 4G
- iPod Touch 3G
- iPad 3 (the new iPad)
- iPad 2
How to Update to iOS 5.1.1
Make sure your iTunes is up-to-date. Check your iOS version: Settings > General > About > Version
*** Direct iOS update is Not recommended for iPhone unlockers.
Method 1 – Over-The-Air
- Launch the Settings app > General > Software Update
If you’re running an older firmware, you’ll be presented with the update details;
- Tap on Download and Install;
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions;
- It’ll then begin downloading iOS 5.1.1 update. Download will take sometime depending on your network connection speed, keep an eye on the progress bar;
- Once the iOS 5.1.1 update downloading is finished, tap the Install button;
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions again;
- Apple will verify the update installed.
Method 2 – via iTunes
- Connect your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to your computer via USB cable;
- Open iTunes;
- iOS 5.1.1 availability message will appear;
- Hit the “Download and Install” button;
- iTunes will download and install iOS 5.1.1 on your iDevice.
Method 2 – Manually via iTunes
- Download iOS 5.1.1 firmware for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch;
- Connect your iDevice to your computer and open iTunes;
- Select your device from the left navigation pane on iTunes;
- Hold down the Shift (Windows) or Alt/Option (Mac) key and hit the Restore button on iTunes;
- Browse and select the downloaded iOS 5.1.1 IPSW file. Let the restore process complete.