Pod2g’s untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 is available now for A4 devices which includes iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G, iPod Touch 4G, and iPad 1. This untethered jailbreak is avaialble from both iPhone Dev-team in form if RedSn0w and Chronic Dev-Team in the form of a Cydia package.
A few days ago, pod2g has handed over untether iOS 5.0.1 jailbreak to both the iPhone dev-team and the chronic dev-team to finalize it for release to the masses.
iPhone Dev-Team has put this untethered jailbreak in pwnageTool and the RedSn0w.
Chronic Dev-Team has put it into a Cydia package.
Note: the same set of exploits is in all three.
Supported Devices and firmware:
- iOS 5.0.1
- iPhone 4 (both the GSM and CDMA), iPhone 3GS
- iPad 1
- iPod Touch 4G, iPod Touch 3G
We’ll be posting detailed step-bystep instructions shortly, stay tuned!
From the Dev-team Blog
Here are the basic steps for how to get it:
- The untether is for iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone3GS, iPhone4, iPhone4-CDMA, iPad1, iPod touch 3G, iPod touch 4G
- If you have one of those devices and are not on 5.0.1 yet, update now! The SHSH window is still open for 5.0.1 If you unlock via ultrasn0w or gevey, make sure you only get to 5.0.1 via a custom IPSW! Once you’re at 5.0.1, use the latest redsn0w 0.9.10 to both jailbreak and untether.
- If you’re already at 5.0.1 with a tethered jailbreak, you have two choices: either run redsn0w 0.9.10 over your current jailbreak (deselect “Install Cydia” if you do that), or install the Cydia package prepared by the chronic devteam. The patches are the same regardless of which you choose.
- Some of you are using a hybrid 5.0/5.0.1 configuration. If so, do not attempt to install this untether over that setup! You will most likely get into a reboot cycle. Do a sync and fresh restore to 5.0.1 then install the jailbreak + untether.
As mentioned earlier, @pod2g has spent months working on all the exploits and tricks in this untether, and many of you may be wondering how you can send donations. Although the iPhone devteam itself doesn’t take donations, we thought it was appropriate to provide a link at the end of the redsn0w run for you to more easily donate directly to @pod2g if you wish (alternatively, you can go right here). There’s a link in the Cydia package for donating to the chronic devteam for the Cydia version of @pod2g’s untether.
@pod2g is now looking for a way to extend this to A5 devices. Because those devices cannot use geohot’s limera1n exploit to inject the untether, they require exploits above and beyond those used for this release. Keep following pod2g on twitter or his blog for any progress reports!
Don’t forget to hit the +1, Like and/or Tweet button if you like the post. You can follow us on Google Plus, Twitter (@iphone_heat), Facebook (iPhoneHeatDotCom), and Subscribe to RSS Feed to receive latest updates.