Installing latest iOS updates brings numerous new features and improvements to the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. These iOS updates let you do even more with your device, so it’s suggested to keep your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch up to date if you don’t want to miss out on the latest new features of Apple’s mobile OS.
While it’s much easier and faster to install iOS over-the-air (OTA) from within the device. However, if you are experiencing issue in installing iOS update over-the-air, or have backup iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch using iTunes, here’s how to install iOS via iTunes on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
It’s recommended to backup your device to either iCloud or iTunes before installing iOS update. Install the latest version of iTunes. Open iTunes, go to About > Check for Updates or visit http://www.apple.com/itunes/.
How to update iOS using iTunes
- Run iTunes on your Windows or Mac computer.
- Plug in your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to your computer.
- Once the iTunes recognizes the device, Select your device as shown in the screenshot.
- Click on Summary pane and then click on check for updates.
- iTunes will connect to iTunes server to check for the available update and will through a prompt on your screen.
- Click Download and Update button on the pop up.
- Wait and allow iTunes to download and install iOS from Apple’s server. Once your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch reboots, it will be running latest iOS firmware.
How to install iOS IPSW using iTunes
You can also download the full sized IPSW file and keep it somewhere safe and then use it anytime to restore your device. In this case you won’t need to download the firmware every time you want to restore it.
- Download latest version of iOS IPSW file. checkout: download iOS firmware.
- Turn off Find My iPhone or Find My iPad option on your device by going into: Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone > Off
- Open iTunes, Plug in your device to your computer and wait for iTunes to recognize it.
- Select your device, click on Summary pane.
- Hold down the SHIFT key (Windows) or ALT/OPTION key on Mac and click on the “Restore iPad” or “Restore iPhone” button.
- Browse and select the downloaded iOS IPSW file.
- Click Restore to confirm.
- iTunes will start restoring your device to the targeted iOS firmware. Be patient and let iTunes do its thing. Once the device reboots, it’ll b running the firmware you downloaded and restored.
iTunes requires sufficient free space to restore your device. If you don’t have sufficient free space, you’ll be required to manually delete content to make some space.