There are different ways to update to iOS 7 on your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. You can either update to iOS 7 over-the-air, which is faster and easier to install iOS 7, or you can simply download iOS 7 and update through iTunes via USB cable connection. In this guide, we’ll talk about both method to update your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch to iOS 7 firmware…
- Jailbreakers should stay away from updating to iOS 7, because you will lose your jailbreak.
- iOS 7 supports iPhone 4 and newer, iPad 2 and iPod touch 4G and newer
- Make sure your iTunes is up-to-date. Download iTunes 11.1.
How to Update to iOS 7
You can update to iOS 7 either OTA or via iTunes. Using iTunes you again get two options: update through iTunes or Restore option. We’ve discussed all the update options in details below.
Over-The-Air Update method
If you update your device to iOS 7 via OTA update, you won’t lose your data because it’s not a fresh restore, just an update. Follow the steps mentioned below to update to iOS 7 OTA (Over-The-Air):
- Make sure to backup your device to either iCloud or iTunes.
- Go to Settings app > General > Software Update
- You’ll be presented with the iOS 7 update details.
- Tap on Download and Install. You need to be on WiFi in order to download the update or this option will be greyed out.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- It will then begin downloading iOS 7 update. Download will take some time depending on your network connection speed, keep an eye on the progress bar.
- Once the iOS 7 update is downloaded, tap the Install button.
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions again.
- Apple will verify the update installed.
- That’s it. Your iOS device will reboot, and you’ll be running iOS
iTunes Update Method
This method fresh restores your device.
- Backup your personal data
- Connect your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to your computer via USB cable;
- Open iTunes. It should recognize the connected device;
- Click on Summary tab if you’re not already there.
- Click on Check for Update button. iTunes should recognize that there’s an update available for your iOS 7.
- Hit the “Download and Install” button on the popup window;
- iTunes will download and install iOS 7 on your iDevice.
- Once your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch reboots, you’ll be running iOS 7
iTunes Restore Method
If you’re a traditionalist, or worried about data corruption from old backups due to OTA update and want a clean, fresh start, iTunes is still an option. Here’s how to update to iOS 7 via iTunes:
- Make sure your computer in running the latest version of iTunes. Go to About and check for update or visit apple.com/itunes.
- Backup your personal data to either iCloud or iTunes before performing any kind of update.
- Download iOS 7 firmware for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
- Connect your iDevice to your computer and open iTunes.
- Make sure you’re in Summary tab, hold down the Shift (Windows) or Alt/Option (Mac) key and hit the Restore button on iTunes.
- Browse and select the downloaded iOS 7 IPSW file. Let the restore process complete.
- After reboot, your device should be running iOS 7.
If you’re facing any kind of problem with the iOS 7 update or restore process, please feel free to ask in the comments section below.