Jailbreak iOS 4.1 with PwnageTool 4.1 [Custom Firmware]

PwnageTool 4.1 has been released to jailbreak iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, iPod Touch 4G, 3G on iOS 4.1. PwnageTool 4.1 jailbreaks iOS 4.1 by creating custom iOS 4.1. PwnageTool also preserves iPhone baseband.

In this guide you’ll learn how to create custom iOS 4.1 to jailbreak iPhone 4, 3GS (New & Old bootrom), 3G, iPod Touch 4G, 3G while preserving iPhone baseband so that you may use UltraSn0w to unlock iPhone later.

Disclaimer: This guide is for educational and information purposes only. Follow the steps below at your own risk. We cannot be held responsible if anything goes wrong.

Lets create custom iOS 4.1 (Jailbreak’d iOS 4.1) to jailbreak iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, iPod Touch 4G, 3G on iOS 4.1.

How to Jailbreak iOS 4.1 with PwnageTool 4.1

Step 1

Step 2

Open the downloaded PwnageTool.dmg and copy the PwnageTool.app to your desktop and execute it from there.

Hit the OK button.

Step 3

Now select Expert Mode from the top left side of the window.

and then select your iDevice. Hit the Next button.

Step 4

Now hit the Browse for IPSW button and select iOS 4.1 firmware for your device (downloaded from Step 1).

Step 5

On next screen, Select General and hit the Next arrow button.

Step 6

iPhone users:

• Select Activate the phone option if you’re on unofficial carrier.
  • Do NOT select Activate the phone option if you’re on official carrier e.g. AT&T.

Step 7

Keep hitting Next button until you’re back to the same screen where you selected General.

Now Select the Build Option and Hit Next.

PwnageTool will prompt you to select a destination folder to save custom iOS 4.1.

PwnageTool will start building your Custom IPSW.

During the build process it’ll prompt you for your admin password.

Step 8

Once the custom IPSW has been built, PwnageTool will ask you to connect your iDevice to your computer. Once your device is detected, you’ll be instructed to put your iDevice into DFU mode.

• Press and hold the power + home buttons for 10 seconds.
  • Release the power button but continue holding the home button for 10 seconds.

Once the iPhone/iPod Touch is in DFU mode, the follow popup message will appear. iTunes will also pop-up.

Step 9

In iTunes, hold the Alt/Option key and hit Restore. From the popup window, browse to the Folder where you saved custom iOS 4.1 and select you custom .ipsw file that you just created and click Open Button. (Make sure you’re selecting custom firmware, Not official one)

iTunes will now restore the firmware on your iPhone. This can take up to 10 minutes.

When done, you have successfully Jailbreak iOS 4.4 firmware with PwnageTool 4.1.

Unlock iPhone

Now those iPhone users looking for a how to on unlocking iPhone, please navigate to the link below to unlock your iPhone 4/3GS/3G:

Also checkout:

skyred October 21, 2010, 4:54 am

hi…can i just ask you to list down what are those devices that cannot be used with this jailbreak tool?

jostree October 21, 2010, 1:46 pm

I have followed the steps for my iphone 3GS 3.1.3 (jailbroken, unlocked) and got stuck on restore from the custom-built ipsw when it was roughly 95% done. iPhone is on black screen with apple logo and progress bar stuck. Did I do anything wrong? What do you suggest I do next, please?

jostree October 22, 2010, 12:11 am

Update: Launching TinyUmbrella during this frozen restore process did the trick and took i tout of the limbo and finished the JB. So, all is good here. Thanks a lot for the JB and Unlock!!!!

nfilauri October 21, 2010, 6:28 pm

Hi !
I need Help!
Here is WHat I did,
Download PwnageTool and iPhone 4 4.1 FW
Follow PwnageTool instructions. (Used “Simple” mode)
Install the custom FW with iTunes 10 by holding “option” and clicking on the restore button.
iPhone fully restored now.
Open Cydia. Go to Manage>Sources>repo666.ultrasn0w.com. Install ultrasn0w.
Reboot device. Insert SIM Card. and is working perfect! all but one little thing! I HAVE LOST MY FACETIME no facetime anywhere! can someone help me?
Don’t know what i did wrong!

GreenPois0n October 21, 2010, 6:33 pm

make it available for windows not just mac!

Diogo Martins October 21, 2010, 10:01 pm

With this tool is possible create a firmware with a old baseband to downgrade other new?

iPhoneHeat October 22, 2010, 2:32 am

Not possible.

Warraich October 21, 2010, 10:06 pm

So even if I get a copy of the custom firmware from someone it looks like I still need Mac while restoring cause pwnage tool need to be running. Or I only need to download a copy of the custom firmware created with pwnage tool 4.1???? By the way I’m on windows and have no acces to a Mac what so ever…..

iPhoneHeat October 22, 2010, 2:32 am

you can restore Custom firmware from both Mac and Windows

Warraich October 22, 2010, 11:21 am

Well can someone please upload the custom firmware!!!!!!!!! Please.

akz999 October 26, 2010, 7:51 pm

If i have customw ipsw’s for iphone 4 and 3g fresh made from pwnagetool 4.1.2 for firmware 4.1, how do i restore them on windows? (The DFU button on pwnage tool provides the exploit to trick itunes to accept the custom ipsw)

sandals1688 October 22, 2010, 6:02 pm

Can I use this if I am still on 04.26.08 and iOS 3.0.1? I have the 3GS.

Also, where can I find the name and password?

Hi???? October 23, 2010, 12:03 am

Is it just me or cydia just won’t open after restoring my iphone 3gs to 4.1??

Anurag October 23, 2010, 4:26 am

Help,

I have a iPhone 3Gs jail broken with 3.1 I did everything as described. Then while restoring at 95 % it got stuck like it happened with jostree. I then started TinyUmberlla …. (I pressed noting , just started the application) iTunes then Quit…

And since then my iphone is STUCK in the DFU mode… I am not sure what to do…. I tried to recover again using itunes it gives an ERROR 21 (unknown) after it verifies with itunes and tried to prepare the phone for update…. I also can’t use TInyUmbrella to Kick it out of recovery mode… dosen’t work …PlZ HELP ME !! I AM SCARED…

akz999 October 26, 2010, 8:03 pm

virtualvikas October 29, 2010, 6:05 pm

Hi,
I’ve a iphone 4 with iOS 4.0.2 which was my mistake upgraded to iOS 4.1…And looks like the base band also got upgraded. Is there a way I can unlock my phone?
Thanks.
Vikas

dthaman December 14, 2010, 5:53 pm

i am also facing the same issue .. my firmware is 4.1 but baseband also upgraded to 2.10 .. i am locked now .. will the pwnage tool work with my baseband version ?? kindly confirm

octavuss December 11, 2010, 5:49 am

what does Select Activate the phone option if you’re on unofficial carrier. mean? The official carrier is the one the iphone is blocked on?

thanks