Just got yourself a new iPhone 5? Looking for the steps to move your data from old iPhone to new iPhone 5? You’re at the right place. In this guide, we’ll walk you through two simple methods to transfer your old iPhone data to new iPhone.
Hit the jump for detailed step-by-step instructions to transfer data from old iPhone to the new iPhone 5…
If you have already booted your iPhone and started using it without restoring from backup, all you need to do is to restore your new iPhone back to factory settings. Factory reset will bring back the initial setup screen where it offers you to restore from iCloud or iTunes. To factory reset your new iPhone:
Go to Settings > General > Reset and then tap “Erase All Content and Settings”
Your iPhone will reboot and will present you with initial setup screen. Now follow any of the two methods mentioned below…
Transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone 5 using iCloud
iCloud is the easiest way to transfer everything from your old iPhone to the new iPhone 5 without any need for a MAC or PC, given that you have a speedy internet connection and your old iPhone is running iOS 5 or later. If you’ve not yet setup your iCloud account or have a slower internet connection, we recommend you to scroll down and follow the iTunes method mentioned below which is also quite easy.
- On you old iPhone, go to: Settings > iCloud, and login with your Apple ID;
- Now make your choices, turn ON whatever you want to backup to iCloud;
- Now scroll down and go to “Storage & Backup” and tap on “Back Up Now” button;
- Once the iCloud backup process, on your old iPhone, is completed, boot your iPhone 5;
- Follow the on screen iPhone setup instructions, and choose “Restore from iCloud Backup”;
- Wait until the iPhone 5 restores your old iPhone data from the iCloud backup which may take several minutes depending on your internet speed, and the size of the data backed up. When finished, your iPhone 5 will have all your personal data from the old iPhone.
Transfer data from old iPhone to New iPhone 5 with iTunes
In case you don’t have iCloud setup, or your backup size is larger than the iCloud storage, or due to slower internet connection you cannot backup to iCloud, don’t worry, iTunes is there to cover you folks. You’ll need a PC or Mac with iTunes installed. Although this method is not as automated as iCloud backup is, but it’s still pretty simple and may even be a faster iPhone backup option.
- Connect your old iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes;
- Right click on your iPhone in iTunes sidebar, under Devices, and click “Back up”;
- Wait for the backup to complete, then disconnect your old iPhone from your computer;
- Turn it on, follow the on screen setup instruction;
- select “Restore from iTunes Backup”, tap Next;
- Now connect your new iPhone to your computer;
- Select the most recent backup from the restore drop-down menu in iTunes, then click “Continue”;
- When the restore process is completed, the iPhone will reboot itself and your new iPhone will have all your data that you backed up from your old iPhone.
- How to Setup Outlook Email on iPhone, iPad
- How to Backup/Sync iPhone Contacts
- How to Make iPhone Ringtones