Finally, Apple has rolled out the first version of iOS 9 / 9.0.1 for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and iPad mini. The iOS 9 is the best iOS version, but it may create some problems for specific iOS users such as poor battery life or significant lag for older devices like iPhone 4S and iPad 2. So, if you are one such victim, you can downgrade to previous iOS 8.4.1.
Normally, Apple will not let you downgrade to previous iOS versions, but as the Cupertino Company is still signing the iOS 8.4.1, so, you can easily downgrade to iOS 8.4.1 right now. On the other hand, Apple will soon close this window soon and will stop signing iOS 8.1.4, so, it is the best chance to revert back to the previous version.
Currently, you can downgrade from a higher iOS version to a lower iOS version but you won’t be able to restore the backup of higher version to the lower version. In other words, you can’t restore the backup of iOS 9 or iOS 9.0.1 to iOS 8.4.1. So, make sure that you have already made a backup of an older version such as iOS 8.4 or iOS 8.4.1.
How to Downgrade from iOS 9.0.1 / 9 to iOS 8.4.1
- Download the iOS 8.4.1 for your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad.
- After downloading the iOS 8.4.1, Connect your iDevice with the PC and fire up the iTunes.
- This is the most tricky part, so carefully follow it. Put your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad in DFU Mode, here’s how you can do that:
- Press and hold the Sleep button and Home button at the same time.
- After 8-10 seconds, let go the power button while keep holding the Home button.
- A new pop-up will be shown on iTunes indicating that iPhone is detected in “Recovery mode”.
- Now, you will have to select the previously downloaded iOS 8.4.1 in the first step.
- On Windows PC: Click on the “Restore” in iTunes while pressing the “Shift” button.
- On Mac: Click on “Restore” while holding the Alt or Options Key.
- Now, Sit tight and let iTunes do its magic, it will take some time to install the new iOS 8.4.1 on your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. Once the installation is completed, you can restore your iDevice from a backup of iOS 8.4 or iOS 8.4.1.
As explained above, this method will work for short period of time. So, downgrade your iDevice before Apple closes the signing window of iOS 8.4.1.
Let us know how it went for you.
trying to downgrade from ios9 back to ios8 but my windows pc is not finding/recognising the downloaded ios8 file…………it is a compressed file, could this be why? ‘fraid I am a novice at all of this! but can’t cope with ios9 on my ipad air – it is making it v slow
make sure you have downloaded iOS 8.4.1… Download it either using Chrome or Firefox browser, because Safari may decompress the contents of the IPSW file…
View file extension to confirm that the downloaded file has an IPSW extension.