Apple Watch, the first wearable device from Apple, is designed to compliment your iPhone. It’s not an independent device, but an accessory to an iPhone. Apple Watch feels a lot like installing a peripheral or a software package on your computer, but in this case you are going to install an accessory for your iPhone. We’ll walk your through how to set up Apple Watch and pair it with your iPhone.
Here are some of the things you need to check before proceeding to set up process:
- Make sure you have an iPhone 5 or newer model; the Apple Watch doesn’t pair with older models of iPhone.
- Turn on the Bluetooth and WiFi on your iPhone, as the Apple Watch uses Bluetooth connection to pair with your iPhone.
How to set up and Pair Apple Watch with iPhone
- Apple Watch comes with a fair level of battery charge in the box, but to stay on the safe side, snap the magnetic end of the charger on the back of your Apple Watch and plug the charger.
- Now to turn your Apple Watch on, press the side button (below the Digital Crown) for a second or two, and an Apple logo should appear on the screen.
- You’ll be asked to select a language for your Apple Watch, pick one to proceed.
- Then you’ll be prompted by the Watch to open the Apple Watch companion app on your iPhone that you want the wearable to pair with. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, and tap on Start Pairing.
- Now it’s time to point your iPhone’s camera towards your Apple Watch screen. Just do what the app asks, it should work and the Watch will automatically pair. Upon successful pairing, an animated cloud of dots appear on the screen.
Pairing will fail if your Apple Watch’s screen shuts off and goes into standby. Tap the screen to wake it up whenever necessary.
To manually pair the Apple Watch with iPhone, tap the “i” on your Apple Watch and you will see your Apple Watch’s name. On the iPhone app, select your device name once it pops up. See for the six-digit code on your Apple Watch and enter it in the Watch app on your iPhone.
- After successful pairing, tap on “Set Up Apple Watch” to continue the set up process.
- It’s time to decide on which hand you want to wear your Apple Watch. Tap on the Left or Right to specify your desired hand. You wrist and the Digital Crown preference helps the Apple Watch to sense when to wake the display and its orientation.
- You’ll now be prompted to agree to the Terms and Conditions. Tap agree to continue.
- After accepting Terms and Conditions, Login using your Apple ID credentials.
- The next screen tells you that Apple Watch uses Location Services and explains its benefits. There’s no option to disable Location Services, so tap OK to continue.
- The next screen explains about the Siri feature of Apple Watch, and just like Location Service, it’s also a mandatory feature in Apple Watch. Tap OK to continue.
- The next step lets you decide if you want to send diagnostic reports and usage data to Apple or not.
- The next screen allows you to create a 4-digit passcode for your Apple Watch which is required when you take it off and then put it back on your wrist. Please note that you’ll need to enter the passcode on the Watch, not the iPhone app.
- Next, you’ll have the option to download the apps which are already installed on your iPhone and are also compatible with the Watch. You can also choose to do so sometime later.
That’s it! You Watch will start syncing with your iPhone and once done, you’ll see default Watch face and a message will appear on your iPhone telling you that you Apple Watch is ready to use.
More Apple Watch Tips
- Apple Watch tips
- How to take screenshot on Apple Watch
- How to take photos remotely on iPhone using Apple Watch
- How to quickly switch to last used app on Apple Watch