iOS 6, iOS 6.0.1, iOS 6.1 firmware update is out now. In this guide you’ll learn how to update to iOS 6.1/6.0.1/6. Hit the jump for detailed steps to update your iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4/3GS, iPad 3/iPad 2/iPad 1 and iPod Touch 5G/4G to iOS 6.1 firmware.
IMPORTANT: Locked iPhone users depending on UltraSn0w or Gevey SIM unlock must avoid updating to iOS 6.1 directly because it will update your iPhone baseband and then you won’t be able to unlock your iPhone using a software unlock, may be forever.
iOS 6.1 supports iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 3, iPad 2, iPad, and iPod Touch 5G/4G. iOS 6 is claimed to bring 200+ new features to iOS devices. Checkout our list of iOS 6 features.
How to Update to iOS 6.1/6.0.1/6
Make sure your iTunes is up-to-date. iOS 6.x.x requires iTunes 10.7 or later.
Check your iOS version: Settings > General > About > Version
*** Direct iOS update is Not recommended for iPhone unlockers.
Method 1 – Over-The-Air
***This method doesn’t fresh restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. OTA method is NOT recommended for jailbreakers.
iOS 5 or later firmware running devices, including iOS 6 betas/GM, can be updated over-the-air (OTA). Follow the steps mentioned below to update to iOS 6.1 via OTA:
- Go to Settings app > General > Software Update
You’ll be presented with the update details;
- Tap on Download and Install;
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions;
- It’ll then begin downloading iOS 6.1 update. Download will take some time depending on your network connection speed, keep an eye on the progress bar;
- Once the iOS 6.1 update is downloaded, tap the Install button;
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions again;
- Apple will verify the update installed.
Method 2 – iTunes Update
This method fresh restores your device.
- Connect your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to your computer via USB cable;
- Open iTunes 10.7 or later;
- iOS 6.1 availability message will appear;
- Hit the “Download and Install” button;
- iTunes will download and install iOS 6 on your iDevice.
Method 2 – iTunes Restore
This method fresh restores your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
- Download iOS 6 or download iOS 6.0.1 or download iOS 6.1 firmware for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch;
- Connect your iDevice to your computer and open iTunes;
- Select your device from the left sidebar on iTunes (You can show sidebar from View > Show Sidebar on iTunes or press Ctrl + S);
- Hold down the Shift (Windows) or Alt/Option (Mac) key and hit the Restore button on iTunes;
- Browse and select the downloaded iOS 6.1/6.0.1/6 IPSW file. Let the restore process complete.
If you are running iOS 6 beta/GM, OTA and iTunes update are not available. You must do an iTunes restore to upgrade to the public release version of iOS 6.
Can we still downgrade back to 5.1.1 with blobs? iphone4S
Thanks for the easy guide
Hey what happens to the data if we update to ios 6 from any of the methods mentioned above..?????
Does the data get erased.???
I Need to know the same, any answers?
OTA update does NOT delete the personal data…
For other methods:
Connect your Device to iTunes.. Right click on the device in iTunes and click Backup.. Then restore iOS 6.. and finally, restore from backup.
error 1601 during shift restore ipad3 wifi cellular pls help 🙁
bagai mana dengan jailbreak,a
pple help me on hw to update with the leatest version of itune
how cn up date my iphone 3gs
i have ios 6 already on my iphone 4s but i want to restore and for that i have restore pack of ios 6 but it is not open on itunes can anybody tell me how to used…
Want to see how it is
What will I do if I don’t have software update under general settings? I’m using ipad2 version 4.3.3(8J2)
i have the same ipad 2 and running the same ios 4.3.3 and i have the same error ,,, wut to do ?????????????????/
i have ipod 3rd gen. and it wont update to ios 6..it says its up to date even on itunes..its confusing! it wont even update though the ipod. help?
all you need to do is update itunes then try go to app store then updates then you will find itunes there then update
or you might not have the right iPod you might need 4g/5g
i believe you, once you JailBreak, you can never update it normally
you will need to Restore all the time.
unless the Restore only happen if you manually download and try to update.
Hi, is there someone who can answers me please?
i have bought an unlocked iphone 4 iOS 5.0.1 so i needn’t ultrasn0w Gevey sim to use it.
My question is:
If i update my iphone to iOS 6.x.x without Sn0wbreeze, will it be locked ??
I have jailbroken Iphone4 with os 6.1 running. i’m trying to restore ios 6.1.2 but it gives me erros while upgrading
the error says “This Device isn’t eligible for requested build” i have downloaded the recomended ipsw but it refuses to upgrade. please help
I have a jailbroken iphone 4s on IOS 5.1.1. I want to upgrade it to IOS 6.x. Could you suggest the steps to do it? Also let me know the option of reverting back to IOS 5.1.1, if required?
der is no software update option in my settings, wht cn I do?
Those setting doesn’t works anymore please update