RedSn0w 0.9.6b1 can jailbreak iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 2G on iOS 4.1. In this guide you’ll learn how to jailbreak iPhone 3G iOS 4.1 and iPod Touch 2G (MC, non-MC) iOS 4.1 using RedSn0w 0.9.6b1. Read the IMPORTANT part first. Steps are exactly same for both Windows and Mac versions.
- iPhone 3G Users: If you need unlock, do NOT use RedSn0w/Limera1n/Greenpois0n. Wait for the PwnageTool.
- iPod Touch 2G Users: RedSn0w 0.9.6b1 can jailbreak both MC & non-MC models. But for iPod Touch 2G MC, it’ll be a tether jailbreak (On each reboot you must connect iTouch to computer to boot it.) MC users should consider rolling back to iOS 4.0.x and use jailbreakme or wait for Greepois0n support.
Let’s jailbreak iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 2G iOS 4.1 with RedSn0w 0.9.6b1 (Windows & Mac).
Disclaimer: This guide for educational purposes only. So, try it at your own risk. We can NOT be held responsible if anything goes wrong.
How to Jailbreak iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 2G iOS 4.1 with RedSn0w 0.9.6b1
Connect your iPhone 3G / iPod Touch 2G to iTunes and restore iOS 4.1.
ATTENTION iPhone 3G Users: iOS 4.1 will update your baseband which is not unlockable ATM.
Once your iPhone 3G / iPod Touch 2G is running iOS 4.1, execute the downloaded RedSn0w 0.9.6b1.
Hit the Browse button and select the downloaded iOS 4.1 firmware. RedSn0w will recognize the firmware, now hit the Next button.
Now select your desired options. Make sure that atleast Install Cydia is selected. Now hit Next button.
RedSn0w will ask you to turn off your device. When it’s off and plugged in, hit the next button
Now you’ll be instructed to put your device into DFU Mode. Follow the on screen instructions.
Once your device goes into DFU mode, RedSn0w will start jailbreaking it. Once done, you can find the Cydia icon on your iPhone 3G / iPod Touch 2G home screen.
That’s it. You’ve successfully jailbroken iPhone 3G / iPod Touch 2G iOS 4.1 firmware with RedSn0w.
Any Windows users seeing “Waiting for reboot” for too long (more than 20 seconds or so), please try “shaking” the JB process by unplugging then replugging your USB cable (while letting redsn0w continue to run). Also, try using a USB port “closer” to your computer (as opposed to on your monitor or behind another hub). We’re still tweaking the Windows flow and so any feedback you can provide will help!
Jailbreak iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, 3G, and iPad
iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, 3G and iPad users can follow the Limera1n and Greenpois0n guides linked below:
- How to: jailbreak iPhone 4, 3GS and Jailbreak iPod Touch 4G, 3G iOS 4.1 with Greenpois0n
- How to: Jailbreak iPad iOS 3.2.2 with GreenPois0n
- How to: jailbreak iPhone 4, 3GS, and Jailbreak iPod Touch 4G, 3G iOS 4.1 with Limera1n
- How to: jailbreak iPad 3.2.2 with Limera1n