In this guide you’ll learn how to update iPhone 4 to iOS 4.1 without updating baseband 01.59.00 which is unlockable.
Restoring iOS 4.1 on iPhone 4 also updates its baseband 01.59.00 to 2.10.4 which is NOT unlockable at the moment. So, iOS 4.1 is an alarming update for all those depending on unlock. PwnageTool by Dev-Team has the ability to preserve iPhone baseband but unfortunately it’s not yet updated with iOS 4.1 support.
When we talk about the jailbreak community, there’s always an alternate way to get things done. Notcom, the dev behind TinyUmbrella app that let you save shsh blobs for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch has updated TinyUmbrella which now let you update iPhone 4 to iOS 4.1 without updating Baseband (Preserves baseband at 1.59.00 ). Lets learn how to use TinyUmbrella to update iPhone 4 to iOS 4.1 while preserving baseband 01.59.00.
WARNING: If unlock is the only way for you to use your iPhone as a phone, we strongly recommend you to avoid iOS 4.1. If you’re brave enough to give it a shot, follow the steps below at your own risk. I have tested this method myself and it works like a charm.
THIS GUIDE APPLIES TO IPHONE 4 ONLY.
How to Update iPhone 4 to iOS 4.1 Without Updating Baseband 1.59.00
- Run TinyUmbrella
***READ THE README TinyUmbrella README NOW Yes. You Read it.
- Hit the Save My SHSH button or use advanced options to save SHSH blobs for iPhone 4 iOS 4.1.
- Hit the Start TSS Server button
- It will kill iTunes.
- Check for ANY errors.
- Now open the iTunes. Hold down the SHIFT (Windows) or Alt/Option (Mac) key and hit the Restore button on iTunes.
- Then browse and select your downloaded iOS 4.1 firmware
- Let iTunes error with 1004 error (baseband update failed – we want this 🙂 )
- No simply hit the Kick Device Out of Recovery button on TinyUmbrella.
That’s it. You have successfully updated iPhone 4 to 4.1 with 1.59.00 baseband. Now wait for a new jailbreak tool to come out and then you’ll be able to jailbreak Use the guides linked below to jailbreak and unlock iPhone 4 on iOS 4.1:
How to: Downgrade iOS 4.1 to iOS 4.x