In this iPhone Guide you will learn how to jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 firmware with RedSn0w on Mac OS X.
Yesterday Apple pushed firmware update, iPhone OS 3.1.3 for both iPhone and iPod Touch. Feature wise there’s nothing new in iPhone firmware 3.1.3, just bug fixes and improved security. The iPhone 3.1.3 OS updates the Baseband to 05.12.01 so you cannot unlock iPhone 3GS and 3G after updating to firmware 3.1.3. In case of jailbreak, you cannot jailbreak iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 2G (MC models) and iPod Touch 3G. If you own any of these three devices, do NOT think of updating to firmware 3.1.3 because then you won’t be able to jailbreak your iPhone/iPod Touch.
Fortunately, the current version of RedSn0w, can jailbreak iPhone 3G, iPhone 2G, iPod Touch 2G (Non MC only) and iPod Touch 1G. You can jailbreak iPod Touch 2G (Non MC) using RedSn0w 0.9.4 and can jailbreak iPhone 3G and 2G, iPod Touch 1G using RedSn0w 0.9.3.
- Do NOT follow this jailbreak guide if you have an iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G, or newer iPod Touch 2G (MC Model)
- Do Not follow this jailbreak guide if your iPhone depends on Unlock. iPhone firmware 3.1.3 updates iPhone (3GS and 3G) Baseband to 05.12.01 which is NOT unlockable at the moment. iPhone 2G users can unlock.
- This guide is for testing and educational purposes ONLY. Follow the guide at your own risk, we cannot be held responsible if anything goes wrong.
Now that if you want to jailbreak iPhone 3G (not unlock), jailbreak iPhone 2G, jailbreak iPod Touch 1G or jailbreak iPod Touch 2G (Non-MC), simply follow the step by step instructions below:
Windows versions of the guide:
Mac users continue reading…
How to Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 Firmware
Update your iPhone/iPod Touch firmware to latest OS 3.1.3 via iTunes.
- For iPhone 3G, 2G and iPod Touch 1G
Download RedSn0w 0.9.3 (Mac): Mirror 1 | Mirror 2
- For iPod Touch 2G (Non MC model)
Download RedSn0w 0.9.4 (Mac): Mirror 1 | Mirror 2
- Also Download Firmware 3.1.2 (Yes, OS 3.1.2)
Once your iPhone/ iPod Touch is updates to OS 3.1.3, the iPhone/iPod Touch is ready for jailbreak. Run the downloaded RedSn0w file.
Hit the Browse button and provide it the downloaded firmware 3.1.2 (Yes, OS 3.1.2) file because RedSn0w 0.9.4 or 0.9.3 will not recognize iPhone OS 3.1.3.
RedSn0w will verify your firmware file. Once done, hit the Next button.
Step 5 (for iPhone 2G users ONLY. Others please skip to Step 6)
To unlock iPhone 2G, select Install Cydia and Unlock options and provide the bootloader files.
If you just want to jailbreak iPhone 2G 3.1.3 then choose Install Cydia and hit next.
Download Bootloader files:
On the next screen, check mark your desired options. For the purpose of this guide just choose Install Cydia and hit next. Select custom logos if you want them too. Hit Next.
Read the on screen instructions to put your iPhone into DFU Mode.
Once you’ve entered into DFU Mode, RedSn0w will do its work and jailbreak your iPhone/iPod Touch OS 3.1.3 and on successful completion, your iPhone/iPod Touch will reboot.
Voila! You have successfully jailbreak iPod Touch 3.1.3, jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3.
We strongly recommend iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G users to stay away firmware 3.1.3. it may result in permanent lose of unlocking ability. Wait for the Dev-Team or GeoHot to workout the new Baseband and come up with new tool to jailbreak and unlock iPhone. In the meantime, we encourage you to read our complete coverage on jailbreaking iPhone and iPod Touch using: RedSn0w, PwnageTool, BlackRa1n, Sn0wBreeze and unlocking iPhone using UltraSn0w and BlackSn0w.
Sn0wbreeze v1.5 is out now. You can follow the guide linked below to jailbreak iPhone and iPod Touch using Sn0wbreeze:
- Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 firmware using Sn0wbreeze v1.5
- Jailbreak iPod Touch 3.1.3 firmware using Sn0wbreeze v1.5
- Jailbreak iPhone 3G iOS 4 with RedSn0w
- Jailbreak iPod Touch 2G iOS 4 with RedSn0w
- Jailbreak iPhone 4 [Coming Soon]