As an iPhone owner, many of my fiends love to have a quick look at this Apple’s sweet device. There’s no problem with that But my concern is that I can’t lend my iPhone without potentially giving them access to lots of personal data. (Email App, Messages, Contacts, Call history, browser history, etc.)
Unfortunately, even in iPhone 3GS, we can only set a passcode to gain access to iPhone’s home screen but we don’t have App-Specific password protection. I don’t mind passing my phone around at a party to share a YouTube video or funny web site, but you have to keep a close eye on people to make sure they don’t go messing around with things they shouldn’t be. Like I don’t want others to have access to Email App or SMS or Photos.
Once again Thanks to the Jailbreak Community where iPhone users can enjoy the App-Specific password protection. A free iPhone App: LockDown, available in Cydia has the ability to Password protect your desired application on iPhone. LockDown works like a charm on iPhone OS 3.0 and also supports 2.x firmwares as well.
How to Password Protect/Lock Applications on iPhone
Let me give you a walk through of LockDown.
How to install LockDown
Update: Lockdown is supported upto iOS 3.1.3. for iOS 4.x or later, you should get LockDown Pro or Locktopus.
To install LockDown, you need to jailbreak your iPhone first. Learn how to jailbreak your iPhone:
Once you have jailbroken your iPhone. You’ll got a Cydia icon on your SpringBoard.
- Launch the Cydia.
- Go to Search Tab and search for Lock Down and tap it.
- Tap Install button at Top-Right and then Confirm button at Top-Right to begin installation.
- After completion, go back to Springboard where you’ll find a brand new icon i.e. LockDown.
How to use LockDown
- When you will run the Lockdown application for the first time, you will be asked to setup a Safety Code and a Password. This password will be used to unlock any locked application and to open Lockdown itself. Safety code is useful in case you forget your LockDown password.
- Once you have setup the Password and safety code, you will see all your iPhone applications listed on next screen.
- Select any application you want to lock, a Lock button will appear. By tapping that button your selected application will be locked and a little lock icon will appear next to that locked application.
- Now if you close LockDown App and try to open you locked application (Mail app in this example), you will be prompted to enter the password to open it. Use your Lockdown password to open that App.
(Once you open the app, use it and when you close the app it will be automatically locked again. So no need to re-lock it in LockDown.)
Lets check other options in Lock Down.
- Tap LockDown to launch it. This time you’ll be asked to input the password to open LockDown. Do it.
- Tapping any locked application in LockDown will prompt you if you want to Unlock it. Pressing the Unlock button will perform the unlock that App.
- Locked Applications button at the top right quickly shows all the locked application only rather scrolling through all applications to locate locked ones.
- Under Settings tab at Bottom, following options are available:Locking Options
- Lock All Applications
- Unlock All Applications
- Lock This Application (ON/OFF)
- Change Saftey Word
- Change Password
- Forgot Password
- Lockdown Dylib (If you turn it OFF, even if you open a locked application it will not prompt for password. So, it’s helpful when you are using your iPhone by yourself. See the details in screenshot. )
- Lock Icon Moving (When turned ON it do NOT let anyone to move any icon to preserve your arrangement of icons.)
- Lock App Deletion (When turned ON it do NOT let anyone to delete any application without your permission.)
- Enable Launch Button (When turned ON, Lockdown will show a launch button when you open a locked application and input password.)
I am using this great application since the day it’s supported with iPhone OS 3.0. It’s working like a charm and will keep it installed because of its usefulness and surely recommend it.
This seems not to work on 3.1.2 . Any advice?
Klaus, the same thing happens to me and it’s getting annoying…I downloaded it to keep my little brother from accessing certain apps and got really excited when I heard about it…but I guess it doesn’t work for 3.1.2.
Dear Klaus, I have the same problem. It was working fine before I upgraded to firm 3.1.2…….
I cannot believe that apple still allowed their phones to be jailbroken. Come right
PS: I am using CATEGORIES but I don’t this app is the cause of the problem. I tried to lock an app that it’s not managed by CATEGORIES…but the result doesn’t change.
i have the same problems.. v 3.1.2 when i want to unlock an locked app or folder i allways get an error and the iPhone goes to safe mode.. Anny other progs. for locking stuff on the phone??
I wanted this app because my 2 year old daughter likes to move and delete apps, and call people randomly. The first time I tried to get into a locked app, my phone went into safe mode. (OS 3.1.2) I rebooted and tried again just in case, and it worked perfectly fine. Thanks so much!
Same, working fine and now, freezes and safe mode ALL THE TIME!
OS compatibility issue
i did not face any prob with version 3.1.2 , however the application does not work if u have a message comin frm a frd and u just click on view and it will display the message without asking for a lock code
i’ve been waiting for this one from a long time.
now i can give my iphone to anyone.
How if i enter the wrong password for more than 5 times?
is there any wrong password entry limit?
or what will happen after exceeding the limit?
if they are you fiends, you probably don’t want to let your iphone anywhere near them anyway.
Iprotect is another good application like mdv. it too has sim protection.
Since the applications locked work on a single password, I have used both lockdown and iprotect.
Since my kid uses my iphone to play games, I lock critical applications with iprotect and her games and other common applications with lockdown (whose password she also knows).
Thanks ppl. It worked perfectly for me. I’ve been wanting to lock my sms tab for quite sometime now.
not working on os4
mobile goes into safemode when evr u run this app :S
yaaa…..not working on 4.0 OS.
someone plz suggest for os 4.0??
IProtect, you can find it in Cydia
Confirm – won’t work on OS 4. (3GS user)
Notify me when you’ve ironed the bugs pls
I have a 3GS with 4.0 firmware and when I install lockdown once it’s installed my phone automatically goes into safe mode and I can’t get it out no matter what I do, I had to completely un-install the app for it to get out of safe mode.. Can anyone help… I need to be able to lol y text messages so no1 can read them… Please help!!!
where can I buy “lockdwon” for my iphone. Is it ture that only way is download from Cydia?
after upgrade to 6.4-1, my apps can now be deleted and moved.. wtf?.. its now a free trial version, cause after the upgrade a msg pop ups telling you to buy the lockdown pro! epic fail!
Doesn’t work on iPhone 3GS. Freezes the phone, I had to uninstall it.
I’ve downloaded this and iProtect on my iPhone4 with OS 4.1
My problem is that both applications when checked to “disable app deletion” and try to delete an app, it still deletes. How can i fix this?
It worked, yes it works. I have the iphone 3g 3.1.3. I hated that i couldnt lock individual apps before. Hand someone your phone and they can look at your texts and pics and email, all kinda crazyness. Leave your phone laying there and chicks going through your texts, this sofware is great and it works, i was going to get another phone soon just becuase of the security but now im gonna keep it. GOOD WORK FOR THIS APP!!!!!!!!!!
not working on my 3g 😐
i think its just available on iphone the old generation ?
is this for free?
Does this work to lock down the network settings so that 3G/Edge/Cellular Data settings can’t be changed? If not, anyone know an app that will do that?
If you have 3.1.2 and downloaded this and it ended up not working always ending up in safe mode. You can remove Lockdown by leaving it on safe mode then clicking cydia > manage > packages then school down until you see lockdown and remove it. Everything should be working fine after that.
when i entered a new safety password, and went to the application page but no application was listed and i need this application…what should i do??
it went to safe mode … What to do next?
It gets into safe mode .. \What to do next?
my springboard is nt showin n my lockdown app….anyone have sum advice 4 dis problem?
I have Iphone3GS and it does not show list of application
in next screen under LOCKDOWN, can anybody help?
It will be listed in your settings app as “LockDown” or “LockDown Pro” and you can configure from there.
Stop fucking whining and do some reading, not working on ya phone, also fuck up your phone? WHY? Did you make sure it compatible with ya OS version, ur device, what source ya get it from, ect….? Don’t know much about shit? Too painful to take the consequent ? Don’t mess with the shit and start coming up here and open ya stinky mouth barking. Mine and other couple phones I have done work just fine without any problem. Kakakaka bitches…..don’t fuck with Cydia.
Translation: “Look at me ! I have a computer to hide behind, so I can spew profanity at someone” When do you enter the 3rd grade ?
I INSTALLED LOCK DOWN IN MY IPHONE 4 5.1 VER WHEN I OPEN MY IPHONE RESTART ON SAFE MODE PLS HELP ME HOW SOLVE THIS PROBLEM….THNX
hey..can u sugest me any app that locks the incoming calls in iphone 4.this is available in android as app lock.i need such an app in itunes please sugest me..
when i start the lockdown my cell go to standby moad when i del lockdown then my start normal moad
whats the problem????
Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention that I’ve really loved browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I’m hoping you write once more soon!
someone suggested i download lockdown pro. I did .. and while it worked like it was supposed too.. there are still major loopholes. I only wanted to protect my photos. But if i use whatsapp and try to send a photo through the chat .. then i can easily access it without a password. I had even found out some other consistencies in the app before.I message the developer..
which one should i use ?