- Modifying look and feel of iPhone (GUI)
- Install cool application to use cool advanced features like Bluetooth, GPS, Touch Screen, etc
- Running application in background that apps from Apple App Store does not permit.
and by Unlocking iPhone, you can use Sim card of any carrier around the globe.
After reading this step-by-step guide, you will have a jailbreak and unlocked iPhone 2G in your hand. Follow with me through these simple steps to jailbreak/unlock you iPhone 2G firmware 2.2.1. In this guide we’ll use QuickPwn for Windows.
This Unlocking Guide is for iPhone 2G only NOT for iPhone 3G.
iPhone 3G users, please go to:
How to Jailbreak iPhone 3G running iPhone OS 3.0 (Mac)
How to Jailbreak iPhone 3G Firmware 2.2.1.
How to Unlock iPhone 3G with YellowSn0w
- an iPhone 2G
- iTunes (the latest one)
- BL 3.9 (Bootloader v3.9)
- BL 4.6 (Bootloader v4.6)
- iPhone 2G Firmware 2.2.1 (iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw)
- Install iTunes.
- Create a new folder a name it ‘quickpwn‘. Put all downloaded files into this folder.
- Extract the downloaded QuickPwn-225-2.zip into quickpwn folder.
Now your ‘qucikpwn‘ folder will contain the following files:
Step 2 – Restoring iPhone
Connect your iPhone 2G to your computer and open iTunes.
From the left menu in iTunes, select your connected device i.e. your iPhone 2G . Hold down the SHIFT key and hit RESTORE button as shown below.
On clicking RESTORE button, you will be asked for .ipsw file. Select “iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw” firmware file that we download before starting the process. Then hit OPEN.
iTunes will start restoring your iPhone software.
When it’s done with iPhone firmware restoring process, you will get this message if you are using a Sim-card of a non-contracted carrier.
It’s a bug. ain’t it? ;-).
Step 3 – Lets Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone
To get rid of the above bug :-P, we have got Quickpwn (Thanks to iPhone Dev Team). Execute the QuickPwn.exe from quickpwn folder.
After making sure that your iPhone 2G is connected to your computer, hit BLUE ARROW to continue.
On the next screen, click the BROWSE button and locate iPhone firmware file (“iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw“) and click OPEN.
Then Quickpwn will check if your provided .ipsw file is valid. On completion, you will see a green check mark on the iPhone as shown below. Then hit NEXT Button.
Now choose what you want to do with your iPhone.
- Add Cydia, Add Installer – add Cydia and Installer to you iPhone
- Replace Boot Logo – Startup Apple Logo will be replace by Quickpwn logo
- Unlock iPhone – Enables you to use Sim card from any carrier around the globe
After making your choices click NEXT button.
Then you will be asked for two Bootloader files. Click Browse button.
We have already downloaded these two bootloader files in the beginning.
- For Bootloader v3.9 select BL-39.bin
- For Bootloader v4.6 select BL-46.bin
After verification of both files, Quickpwn will display a green check mark, as shown below. Hit NEXT Button.
At this stage, once again make sure that your iPhone 2G is connected via USB. When you are ready, click the NEXT button.
Your iPhone will go into recovery mode automatically. Once iPhone is in recover mode, you will be prompted to:
- Hold the Home button for 5 seconds
- Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds (Don’t let go Home)
- Release the Power button and continue holding the Home button. Hold it until your iPhone goes into DFU mode.
Performing above actions promptly is crucial.
After detecting DFU Mode, QuickPwn will starts jailbreaking your iPhone.
Quickpwn will prompt you when the process is completed successfully.
OK.. That’s it.
Solutions to Some issues
Different SIM detected. Please connect to iTunes (fix)
1. Put ur phone in Recovery mode without having a sim card inserted .
(Turn phone completely of, the press and hold the home button and insert the usb cable. keep hold of the button until itunes connects to ur phone in recovery mode)
2. Restore your phone though iTunes
3. Close down iTunes and redo all that is listed above with the quickpwn !
4. insert Sim u will be good to go!
The iphone “iphone” could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (5)
You need to start from 0% meaning make a clean restore of your iPhone, how to do that, put your iPhone in Restore mode Manually. Take out you Sim first.
Turn phone completely off
Press and hold the home button and insert the usb cable. keep hold of the button until iTunes connects to your phone in recovery mode. If there is a clean backup firmware still on your iPhone it will start the recovery mode via iTunes.
Your phone should work again as it was at the start , if it does than great now go back and redo all the steps above this time with the correct firmware.
There’s no Unlock Option available in QuickPwn
Make sure that you have downloaded the right firmware file (ipsw) and have updated your iPhone firmware. or
Run the Live update from the iTunes.
Firmware should be 2.2.1 (I have also tried the same process after downgrading to firmware 2.2 and it worked like a charm.)
After more than 10 tries, I managed to unlock it.
Choose the right ipsw file for iPhone 2G : iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw
Good Luck and don’t forget to share your experience here.
Happy Jailbreaking and unlocking iPhone 2G
Jailbreak iPhone Firmware 3.1.3:
- Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 using RedSn0w
- Jailbreak iPod Touch 2G/1G using RedSn0w 0.9.4
- Jailbreak iPhone Firmware 3.1.3 using PwnageTool
- Jailbreak iPhone Firmware 3.1.3 using Sn0wbreeze
- Jailbreak iPod Touch 2G/1G 3.1.3 using Sn0wbreeze
- Download iPhone 3.1.3 custom firmware
Jailbreak iPhone Firmware 3.1.2:
- Jailbreak iPhone, iPod Touch 3.1.2 with RedSn0w 0.9
- Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.2 with Sn0wbreeze
- Jailbreak iPhone, iPod Touch 3.1.2 Using BlackRa1n
- Download iPhone 3.1.2 Custom Firmware
Update 2: (Nov 6 2009)
Please navigate to the latest Guide for latest iPhone firmware:
As we all know iPhone OS 3.0 is out now and comes with great new features. So we recommend updating your firmware to OS 3.0 and iPhone OS 3.0 Jailbreak and Unlock guides are here:
Jailbreak iOS 4.0
- How to: Jailbreak iOS 4.0
Unlock iOS 4.0
- How to: Unlock iOS 4.0