Forget the exploding iPhones or Galaxy Note 7 devices, A man living in Florida claims that smoke started to billow out of one of his AirPods when he was listening to music on it. The smoke was coming out of his right AirPod and as soon as he saw it, he removed the AirPods from his ears and put them on a workout equipment.
He then went out to get some help but when he returned the right AirPod was already popped due to an explosion. The user was thankful that he removed the smoky AirPod from his ear otherwise the result could have been worst due to a physical injury.
In a television interview, he said that he believes that the battery inside the AirPod is the culprit behind his exploding AirPod.
“I don’t know what would’ve happened to my ear,” Colon said. “But I’m sure since it hangs down, it could’ve been [my] ear lobe. Ear lobe could’ve been burnt.”
Apple has already confirmed that they are looking into the exploding AirPod case and will reach out to Colon. Colon also warns others by saying that “just because it happens to me doesn’t mean it won’t happen again.”
Apple had released the first AirPod model back in 2016 and it is the first time that we are hearing a report of an exploding AirPod. This is just one isolated report of an exploding AirPod over a period of two years. There’s a possibility that Colon’s AirPods were shipped with defective battery or his pair of AirPods was somehow damaged due to compromising the safety and the chassis of the unit.
The details available on the matter are not much to come to a conclusion, more details will only become available after Apple conducts a thorough investigation of the matter. While it’s just a single case of an exploding AirPod in the product’s history, it still is unnerving to know that there is a possibility of an explosion inside the AirPods due to a faulty battery.
Share your thought on this incident in the comments section below.