When you buy an iPhone from AT&T, it comes locked to AT&T’s network, which means only AT&T’s SIM would work on it. If you put a T-Mobile or any other carrier’s SIM in your iPhone, it just won’t work. Same thing happens to all the international SIM cards if you plan on traveling. A locked AT&T iPhone does not mean that it cannot be unlocked. Like many other carriers, AT&T has a system in place that accepts iPhone unlocking requests from its subscribers and processes them based on prerequisites and restrictions that the carrier has in place.
AT&T iPhone unlocking requirements
Before jumping on to the unlocking part, it’s important to talk about AT&T’s unlocking requirements and restriction for a locked iPhone. Following are the iPhone unlocking requirements that you need to know:
- Your iPhone must be locked to AT&T
- The iPhone must not have been reported as stolen or lost.
- The iPhone is not associated with any illegal or fraudulent activity.
- You have completed all your installment plans and service commitments for the iPhone in question.
- All the early terminations fees are paid in full.
- The iPhone must be active only on your AT&T customer’s account.
- New iPhone owners must have to wait for the 14-day “buyer’s remorse” period before they can request an iPhone unlock code from AT&T.
- For different AT&T services, such as Go Phone and pre-paid customers, there are some special circumstances. Make sure to check your iPhone eligibility before continuing with the unlocking process.
How to Request an iPhone unlock code from AT&T?
According to AT&T, it will respond to any request unlocking request within two business days. If you meet the above-mentioned AT&T iPhone unlocking requirements, here is how you can request an unlock code for your AT&T iPhone.
- Open att.com/deviceunlock in your browser.
- Click on “Unlock your device.”
- Fill in the form with your AT&T customer account details, agree to the device unlock eligibility requirements, and click Next.
- You will get a confirmation email from AT&T with your unlock request number.
- Click on the link within that email within 24 hours of receipt to confirm your iPhone unlock request.
- You will get a response from AT&T within two business days.
- If your unlock request gets approved, AT&T will send you an email containing instructions to unlock your iPhone with the code.
Please note that this process does not guarantee that your unlock request will be honored. AT&T reserves the right to deny your unlock code request and may need further steps before they send you the code.
That’ it folks! If you tried the above-mentioned procedure and let us know how the AT&T iPhone unlock process went for you, and if you have any unlocking tip to share!