Apple has finally announced its much-anticipated iOS 10 software update for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch devices during its WWDC 2016 keynote. iOS 10 is destined to bring a host of new features and improvements to Apple’s mobile device. Hit the jump for the quick rundown of the new features and to learn how to download and install iOS 10 Beta that is only available to the developers on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
- Before proceeding with the guide, please read these important points:
- This guide requires you to have an Apple’s iOS Developer account, which cost $99 annually.
- Beta versions are usually very buggy and are not meant for the general users, so please proceed at your risk.
- Backup your personal data and stuff from your device before install iOS 10 beta on it. You can backup using iTunes or iCloud.
- Make sure your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch model is compatible with iOS 10 beta.
If you’ve read the important points discussed above, let’s get down to the business and install iOS 10 on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch devices.
Assigning the Device for Development
The first step involved in installing developer’s version of iOS is to assign the device for testing and development purposes. You can do that by following these steps:
- Sign into your Apple Developer account.
- Click on Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles.
- In the left navigation pane, click All under Devices.
- To add an iOS device, click + at the top right side.
- Enter the UDID of your device here, which is a string consisting of 40 hex characters. Here’s how to find your device’s UDID:
- Connect your device to your computer and fire up iTunes.
- Select your connect device icon at the iTunes menu.
- Click on the serial number and it should change into the UDID string.
- Right click on UDID and copy it.
- Paste the UDID into Apple’s Developer website, name your device, and click continue.
- After receiving your details, click the Register button and then Done to complete the device registration process.
Installing iOS 10 beta OTA using the Configuration Profile
Go to Apple Developer Download page and download the Configuration Profile. You can directly download this profile onto your iOS device or save it to your hard drive and email it to an account that you have set up on your iPhones, iPad or iPdo Touch. Open the email and download the attachment (Configuration Profile) and follow the installation process.
- Connect your device to a power source and a Wi-Fi network.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update, tap on Download and Install, and then tap Install. If prompted, input your passcode.
How Install iOS 10 beta using iTunes.
If you want to clean install iOS 10 on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, you can do it using iTunes. Here is how to:
- After registering your device’s UDID, click on the Platform (at top bar) > iOS > Download.
- Under iOS 10 beta, choose your device from the Restore Image drop-down menu.
- Make sure that the latest version of iTunes is installed.
- Download Xcode 8 beta and install it on your computer. The download link is available on the same page where you downloaded the iOS 10 beta.
- Now you can restore your device with iOS 10 IPSW file either using Xcode or iTunes. Restoring through iTunes is a lot easier process and preferred method for the testers. Here’s our detailed guide on how to install iOS using iTunes.
Have you installed iOS 10 beta on your device? Share your experience int he comments section below.