TSMC wins 100% of the orders for iPhone 7 processors, report claims - iPhoneHeat

TSMC wins 100% of the orders for iPhone 7 processors, report claims

While the next-generation iPhone (the iPhone 7?) is still months away from the official unveiling, the rumors mill has already started tossing out tidbits related to what the new iPhone model will come packed with. A recent report claims TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company) has managed to secure 100% orders for Apple’s A10 chip that the company will be using to manufacture its iPhone 7 model.

South Korea’s Electronic Times, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter, reports that TSMC will be the sole suppliers of mobile processors for Apple’s upcoming iPhone revision. The report says that TSMC beat out its arch rival Samsung – a long-time chip supplier of Apple – and managed to secure 100% orders to supply processors for Apple’s upcoming iPhone 7 model.

tsmc site

The report is in line with previous analyst predictions, who predicted TSMC to secure 100% of the processor supply orders from Apple due to its InFO chip tech. For iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6s Plus, Both Samsung and TSMC were responsible for supplying Apple-designed A9 system on chip. The final output of the same chip, manufactured by two different companies, ended in slight variations and led to some interesting results after the devices were officially launched.

The iPhone 6s/Plus processors manufactured by TSMC were cooler than the ones manufactured by Samsung and there was a slight difference in the size of the chip as well. The report spread like a wildfire, eventually forcing Apple to comments on the matter:

Our testing and customer data show the actual battery life of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, even taking into account variable component differences, vary within just 2-3% of each other.

If the report turns out to be true, it’s going to be a huge win for TSMC and a big blow to the Semiconductor wing of the Korean Giant. For the last iPhone model, Samsung reportedly supplied 70% of the total orders, while TSMC was responsible for the remaining 30% orders.

TSMC is said to begin production of the A10 chip on a larger scale in June, and the iPhone 7 is expected to be launched in September. Other rumored features of iPhone 7 include waterproof body, wireless charging, and removal of 3.5mm audio jack.

[The Electronic Times]

0 comments… add one

Leave a Comment