Apple has released iOS 9 beta 2 for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch to the registered iOS developers. First unveiled during WWDC 2015 on June 8th, the next major software release of Apple’s mobile operating system is mostly about bug fixes, performance improvements, and refined functionality.
iOS 9, once released to the public, will offer some new features including Proactive Assistant, Transit directions in Maps app, and an improved multitasking feature for iPad among other features. Check out our detailed iOS 9 features list.
The first beta was released soon after the WWDC 205 keynote, followed by a second beta after just over two weeks of official unveiling of the software. According to the official release notes, iOS 9 beta 2 comes with bug fixes and performance improvements. But there are some new changes found by the users in the 2nd beta of iOS 9:
- The radio tab has been disabled now. Which most probably be available when Apple Music launches on June 30th.
The news app is not available yet.
- The 2nd beta removes the option to change the side switch from Mute to Lock Rotation.
iOS 9 beta 2 carries a build number 13A4280e, and it is currently available only to registered developers enrolled in Apple’s Developer Program. The public beta of iOS 9 will be available in July, for which general users can sign up.
Just like the previous beta the second beta of iOS 9 compatible devices include:
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S
- iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2
- iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2, iPad mini
- iPod touch 5G
If you are already rocking iOS 9 beta 1, you can install iOS 9 beta 2 as an OTA update by going into Settings > General > Software Update. You can also download iOS 9 beta 2 from Member Center of Apple’s Developers website and then follow our guide on how to install iOS using iTunes.
If you don’t have a developer’s account and your device’s UDID is not registered, there’s a trick to install iOS 9 beta without registering UDID or developers account.
- iOS 9 compatible devices list
- Apple releases iOS 9 beta 3 with Apple Music and Apple News
- iOS 9 beta 4 download available to developers
- New in iOS 9 beta 4
- iOS 9 beta 5 is out now