In this guide, we’ll talk about how to jailbreak iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G running iOS 6.1.6 with RedSn0w. You can jailbreak iOS 6.1.6 with RedSn0w but it’ll be a tethered jailbreak. To convert this tethered jailbreak to an untethered one, simply install p0sixpwn from Cydia after jailbreaking with RedSn0w. Let’s jailbreak iPhone 3GS iOS 6.1.6 and iPod Touch 4G iOS 6.1.6 with RedSn0w…
- This guide is meant for iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G only.
- UltraSn0w unlock dependent users MUST not update to iOS 6.1.6.
- Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 will be used in this guide that supports a tethered jailbreak only. Which means after every reboot, you’ll have to connect your device to your computer in order to boot into jailbreak mode, except for the iPhone 3Gs with old bootrom.
- Install the latest version of iTunes.
- Backup your personal data before proceeding.
- RedSn0w doesn’t directly support iOS 6.1.6. This method uses iOS 6.0 firmware to jailbreak iOS 6.1.6, s you may encounter unknow issues.
- Follow this guide at your own risk. We cannot be held responsible, or liable if anything goes wrong.
How to jailbreak iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 4G iOS 6.1.6 with RedSn0w
Make sure to update your iPhone 3GS or iPod Touch 4G to iOS 6.1.6. If you’ve not already, download iOS 6.1.6 and update via iTunes.
Connect your iPhone 3GS or iPod Touch 4G to your computer, and run the RedSn0w application that you extracted in Step 2.
Win 7 users: Run the RedSn0w in Windows XP compatibility mode. (Right click the application > Properties > Compatibility tab > Select Run this program in Compatibility mode for Windows XP). Run the application as Administrator (Right click on application > Run as Administrator).
Click the Extras button > Select IPSW button and then browse and select the downloaded iOS 6.0 IPSW (NOT the iOS 6.1.6) that your downloaded in Step 2. RedSn0w should identify the firmware.
Go back to the main page of RedSn0w and click on the Jailbreak button.
Redsn0w will now start preparing the jailbreak data.
Now select Cydia from the options and click Next button.
Now you’ll be prompted to put your device in DFU mode. Simply follow the on-screen instructions to do that. In case you face any trouble entering DFU mode, here’s our detailed guide on how to put iOS device in DFU mode.
Once your device is in DFU mode, Redsn0w will now begin uploading the new RAM disk and kernel.
Once the jailbreak process is completed, RedSn0w will notify you that this is a tethered jailbreak. Click the Ok button, close the RedSn0w and follow the further instructions to Tethered Boot your device.
How to Tether Boot
- re-Run the Redsn0w
- Hit Extra > Select IPSW button > browse and select the iOS 6.0 firmware.
- Now click the Just Boot button.
- Hit next, follow the on-screen instructions to enter into DFU mode.
- This should boot your iPhone 3GS or iPod Touch 4G into tethered jailbreak mode.
Note: Since Redsn0w currently supports only a tethered jailbreak except for iPhone 3GS with older bootrom, you will need to install p0sixspwn from Cydia to achieve the untethered jailbreak on iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G. Follow these steps to untethered jailbreak iOS 6.1.6 with p0sixpwn.
Can’t find Cydia: Make sure to use the correct iOS 6.0 IPSW for your device.
Unsupported IPSW: Make sure to point RedSn0w to iOS 6.0, NOT the iOS 6.1.6.
Cydia closes immediately: Tether boot your device and it’ll work.