Jailbreak iOS 6.1 with Sn0wbreeze [iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G]

Sn0wbreeze v2.9.8 can jailbreak iOS 6.1 on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G. In this guide you’ll learn how to jailbreak iOS 6.1 on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G. Sn0wbreeze is a recommended solution for UltraSn0w unlockers as it also preserves the iPhone baseband.

Hit the jump for step-by-step instructions on how to jailbreak iOS 6.0.1 with Sn0wbreeze 2.9.8 on iPhone 4, 3GS and iPod Touch 4G…
jailbreak-ios-6.1-sn0wbreeze
Sn0wbreeze, just like PwnageTool and RedSn0w, creates custom firmware to jailbreak iPhone 4, 3GS and iPod Touch 4G. Custom firmware not only jailbreaks the device, it may also preserve your iPhone baseband to its current version which lets iPhone unlockers to keep using UltraSn0w or Gevey SIM.

Notes:

We recommend using Sn0wbreeze for iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS only if you depend on UltraSn0w unlock or Gevey SIM and want to preserve baseband. Otherwise we strongly suggest your to use evasi0n jailbreak instead.

How to jailbreak iOS 6.1 with Sn0wbreeze

Step 1

Download Sn0wbreeze 2.9.8 and extract it.
Download iOS 6.1

Step 2

Run the Sn0wbreeze.exe on your computer;
Click Ok button and then hit the next Arrow button to proceed.
Note: Windows 8 users will need to download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 from here.

sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-1sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-2

Step 3

Click “Browse for an IPSW” button and select iOS 6.1 IPSW file;
Sn0wbreeze will recognize your device;
Now click the blue arrow button to proceed.

sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-3sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-4

Step 4

Select “Expert Mode” and click Next;

sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-5

Choose  ”General” and hit Next;
For iPhone only: Now select “Activate the iPhone [Hacktivate]” if you have a unofficial SIM card;
Now keep hitting next until you’re back to the screen where you selected General option.

sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-6sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-7sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-8

Step 5

Select “Build IPSW” and hit blue arrow;
Sn0wbreeze will start building the custom iOS 6.1 for your device which may take several minutes;
Once done, sn0wbreeze will prompt you if you want to donate to evad3rs, the team behind evasi0n;
Then you’ll see the following “Done!” message:

sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-9sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-10sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-11

You can find Sn0wbreeze 6.1 custom firmware on your desktop named: “sn0wbreeze_*.ipsw”.

Step 6 – Pwned DFU Mode

*This step is important*

Click the OK button and follow the on screen instructions to put your iPhone/iPod Touch into DFU mode. Connect your device to your computer and turn it OFF and click the Start button:

sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-12

1. Prepare to press Home and Power buttons;
  2. Press and hold the Home and Power;
  3. Keep holding the Home button.

sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-13sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-14sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-15

Once your iPhone/iPod Touch has successfully entered DFU mode, iREB feature of Sn0wbreeze will enter your device in PWNED DFU Mode and a confirmation message will popup.

sn0wbreeze-ios-6.1-jailbreak-16

Step 7 – Restore Custom 6.1

Now close Sn0wbreeze 2.9.8 and open iTunes, Hold down the Shift/Option key and hit the Restore button;
Browse and select the custom firmware 6.1 from the desktop;
iTunes will start restoring custom iOS 6.1 on your iPhone/iPod Touch;

That’s it! Your’ve successfully jailbroken iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G on iOS 6.1 with Sn0wbreeze. In case of iPhone 4/3GS, you’ve also preserved the baseband so you can use UltraSn0w/Gevey SIM.

Troubleshooting

If you’re having issues with your device not showing up in iTunes after running sn0wbreeze, install the evasi0n 6.0-6.1 untether from Cydia. Then reboot your device and computer as well.

Don’t Miss Out:

How to save shsh blobs for iOS 6.1
Download iOS 6.0.2
Download iOS 6.0.1
Download iOS 6

somil February 5, 2013, 3:45 pm

Hey ,
Great work guys, Can you confirm if UltraSn0w supports ios6.1?

Somil

iPhoneHeat February 7, 2013, 12:34 am

Yes it has been updated with 6.1 support

MJay February 8, 2013, 2:51 pm

Yes it is.

iphone3gs February 5, 2013, 4:04 pm

please help me out!! i tried it and after sn0wbreeze bar finished, normally it was supposed to start aga?n but it didnt. it again entered dfu mode. and i wonder if this sn0wbreeze preserve baseband?

NiceTry February 5, 2013, 4:04 pm

That was helpful
Thanks.

iphone3gs February 5, 2013, 4:09 pm

iphone3gs February 5, 2013, 4:52 pm

and i tried it again and went perfect. trying again would fix it.

zamoranocell February 5, 2013, 8:30 pm

una ves que termina el sn0breeze no conectra con la repo de ultrasn0w

my2k February 5, 2013, 8:30 pm

This worked like a charm THANK YOU soooo much as I was trying for last two days would recommend every one to use this method and excellent guide.

Sabby February 6, 2013, 12:57 am

Hi.. i restored using Custom 6.1 created by sn0wbreeze. Everything works fine, but the problem is iTunes does not detect my iPhone 3gs.
Tried with both iTunes 10 and 11(windows)
Any suggestions?

iPhoneHeat February 7, 2013, 12:35 am

install the evasi0n untether from Cydia.

CR1328 February 7, 2013, 9:47 pm

how do i install evasi0n from cydia?

CR1328 February 7, 2013, 9:58 pm

ive installed it but my itunes still dosnt recongnise my ipod?

iPhoneHeat February 8, 2013, 12:45 am

After installing “evasi0n 6.0-6.1 untether”, make sure to reboot both your device and PC.

JustSayingThatUrNot February 6, 2013, 6:54 am

cool

sepehr February 6, 2013, 6:01 pm

hi! i downloaded ios 6.1 for iPhone 4s but when i want to browse it ,it shows this error:
Invalid IPSW!
3e519b802f5dbdbbfe3980679a1c1e67
please help !!

Neo February 6, 2013, 10:43 pm

Always get a 1600-1604 error while attempting to restore the custom firmware. Tried changing USB ports, used ireb, used different sn0wbreeze modes, used TSS from tiny umbrella, deleted hosts file entry. Still the same error

iPhoneHeat February 7, 2013, 12:40 am

Make sure to use iREB feature available in the Sn0wbreeze to put your iPhone into PWNED DFU mode

Neo February 7, 2013, 11:48 pm

I have done that times without number both with iREB and Redsn0w but i still get the error. Is it possible its not entering PWNED DFU though it tells me it is. And is there another way to restore to 6.1 while preserving baseband?

iPhoneHeat February 7, 2013, 11:57 pm

For now, Sn0wbreeze is the only option… Why not recreate the custom firmware?

Edit:

May be your hosts files are still pointing to Cydia server and not to Apple’s. make sure to reboot your computer after editing hosts file.
or use tinyunbrella’s TSS Server feature:
First connect your device, fire up Tinyumbrella, ***Save iOS 6.1 SHSH blobs first***. Make sure Tinyumbrella has blobs for 6.1 for the connected device.. Run TSS server. open iTunes and restore (Also make sure you’ve entered PWNED DFU mode via Snwbreeze’s iREB feature).

Neo February 8, 2013, 3:33 am

I have also done this. Ive been jailbreaking since 4.x and i have never had this much difficulty. Its frustrating because I practically know everything I’m supposed to do and its still throwing up the 16xx errors.

Just confussed as hell. I wish the iPhone dev team will release a 6.1 compatible redsn0w version. :(

iPhoneHeat February 9, 2013, 10:07 pm

Why not try on another PC?

iPhoneHeat February 8, 2013, 12:53 am

or use tinyunbrella’s TSS Server feature:
First connect your device;
fire up Tinyumbrella;
***Save iOS 6.1 SHSH blobs***;
Make sure Tinyumbrella has blobs for 6.1 for the connected device;
Put device in PWNED DFU mode via Snwbreeze’s iREB feature;
Make sure iTunes recognized your device in Pwned dfu mode (black screen);
Run TSS server from Tinyumbrella;
open iTunes and restore.

sepehr February 6, 2013, 11:04 pm

hi again !
i restored my iPod Touch 4g with custom firmware.but then itunes didn’t discover my iPod.
then i restored with orginal firmware and it work.
itunes discovered my iPod.& then i jailbreaked with evasi0n.
what’s the problem and solution?

iPhoneHeat February 7, 2013, 12:43 am

it’s Sn0wbreeze issue… To fix, install the evasi0n untether from Cydia after restoring Custom Firmware.

CR1328 February 7, 2013, 3:12 am

it sais that my ipod cant be restored ive tryed 3 times now??

my2k February 7, 2013, 9:27 am

After doing this I got no service so any solution ??

findit February 7, 2013, 11:53 pm

Did you find a solution I have the same problem as you and I am desesperate, thank you !

iPhoneHeat February 8, 2013, 12:55 am

IF you phone is UltraSn0w dependent, make sure to install UltraSn0w from Cydia

No service February 7, 2013, 11:59 am

Any solution for no service?

iphone 3gs 6.1
Baseband 6.15

iPhoneHeat February 8, 2013, 12:59 am

Install UltraSn0w 1.2.8 from Cydia

knoxville February 8, 2013, 7:44 pm

I JB my iphone 3gs to ios 6.1 with snowbreeze and it went smoothly. my problem started after i installed ultrasn0w. it is now stucked on boot logo and would not open.
can somebody help me out with this issue? is there any known issue of ultrasn0w on ios6.1?
my iphone 3gs has old bootroom & 6.15 baseband.

iPhoneHeat February 9, 2013, 10:09 pm

re-restore, install evasi0n 6.1-6.0 untether from cydia… Reboot.. and then install Ultrasn0w, just make sure that itz UltraSn0w 1.2.8

knoxville February 13, 2013, 6:50 pm

IPhoneHeat, you are the best! My iPhone 3gs is up and running now. Thank you very much.

waseem4u February 7, 2013, 2:13 pm

after successful custom firmware, iphone asks for connection with itunes to restore backup and itunes+sync cable sign appears, but itunes does not start the restoring process. it does not recognize iphone. How can I install evasion if I cannot see the home screen or access to cydia?
Please help.

my2k February 7, 2013, 2:15 pm

You can install evasion over wifi via cydia thats what I did….

Kiss01 February 7, 2013, 6:01 pm

Where is evasi0n on cydia ?? can not find it

MJay February 8, 2013, 3:00 pm

It’s called “evasi0n 6.0-6.1 Untether” just type in search “evas” and it should appear on your screen.

waseem4u February 7, 2013, 8:04 pm

But how to access the home screen. Iphone wont let pass through the “connect to itunes” logo for restore from backup.

MJay February 8, 2013, 2:56 pm

I faced that problem when i jailbroke my phone using sn0wbreeze, how i fixed it was i installed Umbrella onto my pc, connected my iphone and chose the button “Exit recovery mode” and it all went well after that!

You can also try restoring again, that worked for a friend of mine.

MJay February 8, 2013, 3:03 pm

TinyUmbrella*

waseem4u February 9, 2013, 2:41 pm

Hello iPhoneheat experts….Help me plz.

iPhoneHeat February 9, 2013, 10:12 pm

Like MJay said, if you’re stuck at Recovery screen (itunes + cable), download Tinyumbrella, connect ur iPhone to ur PC and click Exit Recovery button on Tinyumbrella

PP February 8, 2013, 9:32 am

Iphone wont let pass through the “connect to itunes” logo. Shows in recovery mode in itunes.

mayet February 7, 2013, 2:37 pm

hi i did install evasion untether from cydia but my pc cant still recognize my phone when connected. But if i open either redsnow or tU it can detect the device connected what is wrong? how to fix this? pls help

thanks

GreenBay February 7, 2013, 5:57 pm

Does it work for iPhone 4s or iphone5?

iPhoneHeat February 9, 2013, 10:12 pm

Kiss01 February 7, 2013, 5:59 pm

No carier signal and no recognize from itunes 11… Please Heeeelp !!!

CR1328 February 7, 2013, 10:06 pm

ok so ive installed Evasi0n from Cydia but my Ipod still cant connect to itunes??

iPhoneHeat February 9, 2013, 10:13 pm

Reboot iPhone and PC as well.

Aminovitch February 8, 2013, 12:30 am

Me too iTunes not regognzing my iPhone 4

iPhoneHeat February 8, 2013, 1:02 am

mayet February 8, 2013, 4:15 am

I had my phone detected by itunes and pc last night while i kept trying and trying. I put the phone into dfu which connected as recovery mode which the itunes detected but i did not restore i repeat the process about 3 times seeing the circling thing whenever i disconnect the phone and connect it again and so it just popped up instantly. just have faith. im now able to sync my music with itunes. this was done of course after downloading evasion untether in cydia and after a reboot of pc and iphone.

MJay February 8, 2013, 4:19 am

Worked great for my iphone 3GS, but now the push notifications aren’t working properly.
Any ideas on how to get the old certs back or if there is a fix for this?

MJay February 8, 2013, 3:02 pm

[Fixed] My problem was fixed after i restored from the backup. I recommend everyone to back up their device and/or take extra measures to backup their push notifications certs.

iPhoneHeat February 9, 2013, 10:14 pm

Thanks for helping out the community.

Kiss01 February 8, 2013, 5:33 am

Ok guys everything is ok for me now !!!After 16xx error from itunes I just changed for a brand new usb cable (old one was damaged) connected directly to my PC and disconnected everything else…you must have internet running on your PC and be pretty sure your iphone is on DFU mode with iReb, otherwise it won’t work !!! restore iphone, maybe i had to do it 2 or 3 times ’till it worked… and installed evasi0n from cydia… now is working like a charm !!!

Good Luck !!!

GreenBay February 8, 2013, 9:52 am

BOOOOO!!!!!

john February 8, 2013, 9:30 pm

My iphone 4 after jb Sn0wbreeze v2.9.8, I have no service on my phone. I try different sim cards but no luck. My itune not detect the phone. Reinstalled the itune and start the local service no luck! help

john February 9, 2013, 12:54 am

Sn0wbreeze v2.9.9 detect my iphone :-), but the it still have no service. I reinstalled factory IOS 6.1 and everything work now. So, Sn0wbreeze v2.9.8 and v2.9.9 might loss your Service or lock your phone.

gileyboy February 10, 2013, 10:06 pm

all worked fine on iphone 3gs. did have to use tinyumbrella to get it from the connect to itunes screen but after that all went fine. reboot of computer and iphone enabled itunes to see the phone and restored back. thanks guys :)

dogx February 10, 2013, 10:46 pm

Hi, I have problem. before I JB my iphone 4 I back up my date with itunes. After I JB 6.1 I select that back up to restore but after restore is finised all my emails, sms, contacts is here ,but neither application is installed free or paid. Can anybody please help me ? Thank You!

bw2614 February 11, 2013, 5:59 am

how long should it take to prepare my ipod touch 4g for restore?

Bryan February 12, 2013, 3:29 am

Hi iPhoneHeat

I’ve followed all these steps, as well as all the steps that have been posted to fix the “No Service” issue. I still get it, and this is beginning to become a headache.

iPhone 4 GSM
Modem Firmware: 04.12.05

vanjo February 12, 2013, 5:31 pm

anyone having a problem here regarding with sam unlock? after you deleted the default lockdown when you try to reboot your iPhone it will stuck on the apple logo? :( please help!

sergie February 12, 2013, 6:53 pm

will this work on iphone 3gs with ios 4.1?

azharscar February 15, 2013, 4:18 pm

i used Snowbreeze 2.9.9 and got my iPhone 3gs untether jailbroken on 6.1. But now how do i unlock it? I have no service. Btw my phone seems to be a new model as the production week is 37 and year 2011. Plus my baseband is at 5.16.08. How should i proceed?

mayet February 23, 2013, 12:42 am

i had the same problem with you before and i found my solution by downgrading my baseband. 05.16.08 is unlockable in any way so its the only process that will work. There is no direct way to downgrade your baseband to 05.13.04 so you need to pass by going to ios 4.1 that will give you 06.15.00 then use redsnow to downgrade baseband which will give you 05.13.04 from there you can unlock your phone and everytime you update you need to preserve your baseband from updating using snowbreeze.

Ymmen February 17, 2013, 8:00 pm

i Have a Carrier Tab.. but its still searching… I have install ultrasnow.. and still say.. unable to load network list… :((

MJay February 19, 2013, 3:35 pm

I’m guessing it has something to do with your baseband.
Check your baseband if ultrasnow will unlock that baseband.

Ymmen February 20, 2013, 11:00 am

My baseband is 6.15 and its still searching i try install ultrasnow fixer 6.1 but its not working.. :( pls i need help..

MJay February 20, 2013, 2:44 pm

Try ultrasn0w 1.2.8; That should work with baseband 6.15.00.
If that still does not work, try using other tools like Gevey SIM.

iPhoneHeat February 22, 2013, 4:25 am

Like MJay said, install UltraSn0w 1.28 from Cydia. NOT the fixer thing.

Ymmen February 22, 2013, 10:41 am

yes like what ive said i try install ultra snow 1.28 and it didn’t work its always say “unable to load network list…”

MJay February 24, 2013, 3:26 pm

What i would recommend is that you retry restoring/jailbreaking again. Read and follow the instructions above. Install ultrasn0w and see if it works!

If it still does not work then you can try using other tools like Gevey SIM or SAM.

If you had to use ultrasn0w and it worked for whatever ios version you had prior to upgrading to ios 6.1 then it should work after the upgrade!

What is your full baseband 6.15.??

Ymmen February 25, 2013, 8:39 am

i have 6.1 ios, my firmware is 6.15 my serial no. is **022****** it is a old bootrom??

jay February 18, 2013, 7:45 pm

NEED YOUR HELP

iPhoneHeat or somebody..
i’ve JB my 3gs to 6.1 using sn0wbreeze n the problem now is the SIM can’t be read.. i’ve tried all the steps you noted up in the previous comments but still it doesn’t work.. need your HELP on how to make it work again step by step..
PLIZZZ =D

MJay February 19, 2013, 3:40 pm

Do you mean by “SIM can’t be read” that you cannot connect with your carrier or your iphone does not recognize your SIM Card? If you’ve jail broken your iphone at ios 6.1. Then you need to install ultrasn0w from Cydia. That should get it connected with your carrier and all should be well.

jay February 18, 2013, 7:47 pm

NEED YOUR HELP
iPhoneHeat or somebody..
i’ve JB my 3gs to 6.1 using sn0wbreeze (baseband 06.15.00) n the problem now is the SIM can’t be read.. i’ve tried all the steps you noted up in the previous comments but still it doesn’t work.. need your HELP on how to make it work again step by step..
PLIZZZ =D

mayet February 23, 2013, 12:44 am

Downgrade your baseband to 05.13.04 then unlock with ultrasnow it will work.

srikanth February 23, 2013, 9:27 pm

Hi,
Thanks a lot for this tutorial. I was able to create the custom IPSW using Sn0wbreeze. However, I get an error 3194 on iTunes when I try to do custom restore. I have checked the host file and it does not have any entry for gs.apple.com. I have also tried disabling my anti-virus software. Nothing seems to work.

iPhoneHeat February 25, 2013, 12:11 am

It’s because 6.1.2 is the latest firmware and Apple is no more signing 6.1.. Checkout: http://www.iphoneheat.com/2013/02/jailbreak-ios-6-1-2-sn0wbreeze/

srikanth February 25, 2013, 10:42 pm

spot on, iPhoneHeat! thanks a lot! i got some other error while restoring in iTunes. this went away after i updated the iTunes software. now my 3gs phone is activated and jailbroken on 6.1.2. but, there is no cellular service. this may not be directly related to this tutorial. i installed ultrasnow and it still is not unlocked. my baseband is 6.15 and ultrasnow seems to support it. should i downgrade my baseband? any pointers?

misskrohn March 16, 2013, 8:28 am

I recently fixed my iPhone 3G that was stuck on recovery mode with snowbreeze and found out that all the apps I wanted, aren’t supported because it’s an old version (4.2.1). If I go back and do it again, with the settings of an iPhone 5, will it work? Can I get a higher version so my apps will be supported?

s1nb4d May 3, 2013, 10:10 pm

I’ve done all of the steps and it’s worked fine right up to the step where I have to install the custom IPSW. How can I do that if iTunes automatically connects to Apple’s servers to download the original firmware? Do I have to use Tinyumbrella? Why doesn’t the guide cover that part? Thanks!

Badday July 10, 2013, 10:02 am