After just a few days iOS 6.1 availability, Apple has released iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch to developers. You can download iOS 6.1.1 beta from the iOS dev center for free if you’re a registered iOS developer. iOS 6.1.1 brings major enhancements to Maps for Japan.
iOS 6.1.1 Beta Change-log
iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 brings the following improvements to Maps for Japan:
- Improved pronunciation of roads during turn-by-turn navigation
- Optimized directions to more strongly prefer highways over narrower roads
- Now indicates upcoming toll roads during turn-by-turn navigation
- Added labels for junctions, interchanges, on-ramps, off-ramps, and intersections
- Added indicators for transit station buildings, subway lines, and traffic lights
- Updated freeway color to green
- Updated icons for some location categories including fire stations, hospitals, and post offices Added 3D buildings including Tokyo Station, Japan Imperial Palace, and Tokyo Tower
Apple is working to break into Asian markets, so enhancements to Japan in iOS 6 Maps is a major move for Apple. iH8sn0w also reports that this beta release of iOS 6.1.1 has no expiration date, unlike previous iOS betas.