RedSn0w 0.9.15b2 can jailbreak iOS 6 on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G. This new RedSn0w can jailbreak iOS 6 on all A4 or older iPhone and iPod Touch and installs Cydia. These are steps to jailbreak iOS 6 on your iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G using RedSn0w 0.9.15b2.
- RedSn0w 0.9.15b1 provides a tethered iOS 6 jailbreak, except for the iPhone 3GS old bootrom it is untethered. A tethered jailbreak means you will need to connect your iPhone or iPod Touch to a computer each time your reboot. Checkout our detailed post on tether jailbreak, untethered jailbreak to learn more about these.
- This jailbreak guide is applicable to A4 or older devices running iOS 6 that includes: iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4G.
- iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad 3, iPad 2 and iPod Touch 5G running iOS 6 are not yet supported.
How to Jailbreak iOS 6 with RedSn0w 0.9.15b
- Download RedSn0w 0.9.15b2 (Windows or Mac OS)
- Download iOS 6 (you do not need to download iOS 6 firmware if you are already on iOS 6)
First of all you need to update your iPhone 4, 3GS, or iPod Touch to iOS 6 either manually or Over-The-Air. Checkout our detailed guide on how to update to iOS 6.
Important: If you depend on UltraSn0w or Gevey SIM unlock you MUST follow our guide on how to update to iOS 6 without updating baseband instead.
Extract the RedSn0w zip file and run the RedSn0w.
- OS X users – use Ctrl-Click and Open if on Mountain Lion for now
- Windows – Right-click and run in Administrator Mode
Make sure that your iPhone 4/3GS or iPod Touch 4G is connected. Now Click on the Jailbreak button.
Now Turn OFF you device and click the Next button;
Follow the on-screen instructions to enter DFU mode. Also checkout our guide on how to put iPhone in DFU mode.
- Release the Power (corner) button for 3 seconds
- Without releasing the Power button, also hold down the Home button for 10 seconds
- Without releasing the Hom button, release the Power button BUT keep holding the Home button until RedSn0w detects the device.
Now select Cydia from the options and click Next button. Your device will reboot and then RedSn0w will upload the new RAM Disk and Kernel.
Once the jailbreak process is completed, RedSn0w will notify you that this is a tethered jailbreak. Click the Ok button, close the RedSn0w and follow the further instructions to Tethered Boot your device.
How to Tether Boot
- re-Run the Redsn0w
- Hit Extras, then Just Boot.
- Hit next, follow the on-screen instructions to enter into DFU mode.
This should boot your iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS or iPod Touch 4G into tethered jailbreak mode. Don’t forget to repeat the tether boot process every time you reboot your device.