iOS 6, iOS 6.0.1, iOS 6.1 firmware update is out now. In this guide you’ll learn how to update to iOS 6.1/6.0.1/6. Hit the jump for detailed steps to update your iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4/3GS, iPad 3/iPad 2/iPad 1 and iPod Touch 5G/4G to iOS 6.1 firmware.
IMPORTANT: Locked iPhone users depending on UltraSn0w or Gevey SIM unlock must avoid updating to iOS 6.1 directly because it will update your iPhone baseband and then you won’t be able to unlock your iPhone using a software unlock, may be forever.
iOS 6.1 supports iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 3, iPad 2, iPad, and iPod Touch 5G/4G. iOS 6 is claimed to bring 200+ new features to iOS devices. Checkout our list of iOS 6 features.
How to Update to iOS 6.1/6.0.1/6
Make sure your iTunes is up-to-date. iOS 6.x.x requires iTunes 10.7 or later.
Check your iOS version: Settings > General > About > Version
*** Direct iOS update is Not recommended for iPhone unlockers.
Method 1 – Over-The-Air
***This method doesn’t fresh restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. OTA method is NOT recommended for jailbreakers.
iOS 5 or later firmware running devices, including iOS 6 betas/GM, can be updated over-the-air (OTA). Follow the steps mentioned below to update to iOS 6.1 via OTA:
- Go to Settings app > General > Software Update
You’ll be presented with the update details;
- Tap on Download and Install;
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions;
- It’ll then begin downloading iOS 6.1 update. Download will take some time depending on your network connection speed, keep an eye on the progress bar;
- Once the iOS 6.1 update is downloaded, tap the Install button;
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions again;
- Apple will verify the update installed.
Method 2 – iTunes Update
This method fresh restores your device.
- Connect your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to your computer via USB cable;
- Open iTunes 10.7 or later;
- iOS 6.1 availability message will appear;
- Hit the “Download and Install” button;
- iTunes will download and install iOS 6 on your iDevice.
Method 2 – iTunes Restore
This method fresh restores your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
- Download iOS 6 or download iOS 6.0.1 or download iOS 6.1 firmware for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch;
- Connect your iDevice to your computer and open iTunes;
- Select your device from the left sidebar on iTunes (You can show sidebar from View > Show Sidebar on iTunes or press Ctrl + S);
- Hold down the Shift (Windows) or Alt/Option (Mac) key and hit the Restore button on iTunes;
- Browse and select the downloaded iOS 6.1/6.0.1/6 IPSW file. Let the restore process complete.