While the jailbreak community is waiting for an iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak, the iPhone Dev-Team has released RedSn0w 0.9.11 with a new feature that allows users to downgrade their iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPad 3 to iOS 5.0.1 so user may jailbreak their device with Absinthe jailbreak…
In this guide we’re going to show you how to downgrade your iPhone 4S running iOS 5.1.1 or 5.1 to iOS 5.0.1. Before we get started please read the important points listed below:
- Backup your iPhone 4S either using iTunes or iCloud because the downgrade process will fresh restore your iPhone 4S.
- RedSn0w downgrade method works only if you’ve SHSH blobs saved for iOS 5.0.1 either using TinyUmbrella or cached on Cydia server. Without iOS 5.0.1 SHSH blobs, you cannot downgrade your iOS.
- RedSn0w downgrade method first updates your iPhone firmware to latest firmware (which is iOS 5.1.1 at the moment) before downgrading to the earlier one. During the process, your iPhone 4S baseband will also be updated to whatever is newest. So, DO NOT USE THIS METHOD if you use UltraSn0w to unlock your iPhone 4S.
*SIM specific unlocks using SAM technique should not be affected by this baseband update.
Let’s downgrade iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1/5.1 to iOS 5.0.1 using Redsn0w…
Downgrade iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1 / 5.1 to iOS 5.0.1 with RedSn0w
Download RedSn0w, iOS 5.1.1 and iOS 5.0.1 from the links below. Please note that both the firmwares are required for the downgrade process.
Power off your iPhone 4S and then put it into DFU Mode. (How to: Put iPhone into DFU Mode)
Launch RedSn0w 0.9.11b1 (Windows 7 users: right-click on RedSn0w and select ‘Run as an Administrator’);
RedSn0w should detect your iPhone 4S in DFU Mode and should display the following message at bottom: ‘Connected: iPhone 4S (DFU mode)’;
Click on the Extras > Even More, and then click Restore button.
Hit the IPSW button, and then browse and select the downloaded iOS 5.0.1 IPSW file (iPhone4,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw);
Now RedSn0w will prompt your to select iOS 5.1.1 IPSW file. Click Ok button, then browse and select iOS 5.1.1 IPSW file (This will most likely be the latest firmware).
RedSn0w will warn you about the baseband update and if you want to available the best chances of unlocking your iPhone in the future you should not continue. If you do not care about an unlock hit the Yes button.
Now RedSn0w will inform you that your device will be placed in Recovery Mode, Hit Ok.
Now it’s time to retrieve your iOS 5.0.1 SHSH blobs. You can either choose Local blobs or Remote Blobs.
Click on Local Blobs if you have iOS 5.0.1 SHSH blobs saved on your hard drive using TinyUmbrella or RedSn0w. After clicking Local button, browse and select the iOS 5.0.1 SHSH blobs. Blobs saved with TinyUmbrella can be found in .shsh folder in your Home folder.
Click on Remote Blobs if you have your iOS 5.0.1 SHSH blobs saved on Cydia server, RedSn0w will fetch those blobs for you.
RedSn0w will being downgrading your iPhone 4S to iOS 5.0.1 as soon as it retrieves the 5.0.1 SHSH blobs. The downgrade process involves stitching the blobs with the firmware and then restoring to the modified firmware. All these steps will be performed by the RedSn0w.
When downgraded successfully, RedSn0w will prompt you with a message informing you that your iPhone 4S has successfully been downgraded to iOS 5.0.1.
Now you can jailbreak your iPhone 4S 5.0.1 using Absinthe jailbreak. Follow the guides linked below:
- How to: Jailbreak 5.0.1 iPhone 4S with Absinthe [Windows]
- How to: Jailbreak iPhone 4S iOS 5.0.1 with Absinthe [Mac]
If this page or section of the page needs to be updated, Submit Request
Leave a Reply