Your detailed guide to jailbreak iOS 5 using RedSn0w jailbreak on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad and iPod Touch 4G, 3G. MuscleNerd has confirmed that the current RedSn0w can jailbreak iOS 5 *tethered* on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
For those who didn’t know, tethered jailbreak means you’ll have to plug in your device to your computer every time it reboots to boot it again into the jailbreak state. RedSn0w has a “Just Boot” option available in Redsn0w.
- It’s a tether jailbreak.
- RedSn0w doesn’t support iPad 2 yet. iPad 2 jailbreak is expected within few weeks along with iPhone 4S iOS 5 jailbreak.
Download the required files:
Make sure you’ve installed iTunes 10.5 or later, then connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch and backup your personal data before restoring to iOS 5.
Gevey SIM or UltraSn0w Unlockers, you need to preserve your baseband in order to unlock with UltraSn0w or Gevey SIM. Follow this guide to preserve iPhone baseband while updating to iOS 5 and then skip to Step 3 (avoid Stock firmware):
Connect your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to iTunes 10.5 or later, hold down the Shift (Windows) or Alt/Option (Mac) key and hit the restore button on iTunes and select the downloaded iOS 5 IPSW file.
Once the restore process is completed;
- Run RedSn0w,
- Click on Extras button
- Now click on Select IPSW button
- Browse and select the downloaded iOS 5 IPSW file
- Hit the Back button.
Now make sure your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch is turned OFF and Plugged in to your computer. Hit Next.
Now follow the on-screen instructions to enter your device in DFU mode.
- Hold Down The Power (Corner) button for 3 Seconds
- Without releasing the Power button, also hold down the Home (Bottom Center) button for 10 seconds
- Without releasing the Home button, release the Power button BUT KEEP holding the Home button for 15 seconds
Click on Jailbreak and then check mark the Install Cydia option.
As soon as your iDevice enters DFU Mode, RedSn0w will start jailbreaking it, which should be completed within few minutes. That’s it!
Like I told you earlier, it’s a tether jailbreak which requires you to connect your iPhone to the PC in order to boot it after each reboot. Here’s how to can tether boot iPhone with RedSn0w:
Tethered Boot iOS 5
- Run the Redsn0w
- Hit Extras, then Just Boot.
- Hit next, follow the on-screen instructions to enter into DFU mode.
This should boot your device. Don’t forget to repeat the tether boot process evertime you reboot your device.
Unlock iOS 5
If this page or section of the page needs to be updated, Submit Request
Leave a Reply