Redsn0w 0.9.8b can jailbreak iOS 5 on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch 4G, 3G. These are the steps to jailbreak iOS 5 on iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch with RedSn0w 0.9.8b. It’s an iOS 5 tethered jailbreak.
Apple unveiled iOS 5 with 200+ new features at WWDC 2011. checkout: iOS 5 features.
- iPhone Dev-Team released RedSn0w 0.9.8 to jailbreak iOS 5 so that jailbreak developers can make their tweaks compatible with iOS 5 firmware. It’s not meant for regular users.
- For those unfamiliar, a tethered jailbreak means you will have to connect your iDevice to a computer, every time you reboot, in order to boot it into jailbreak state. (Tether boot instructions can be found below)
- If you depend on UltraSn0w unlock, avoid Redsn0w, or the stock iOS 5 firmware.
How to Jailbreak iOS 5 with RedSn0w 0.9.8b
- Download RedSn0w 0.9.8b
- Download iTunes 10.5 beta (requires Dev account)
- Download iOS 5 beta (requires Dev account)
Restore iOS 5 beta on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch and keep it connected to your computer via USB.
***You can skip this step if you’re already running iOS 5 beta.
Execute the Redsn0w 0.9.8
Hit the Browse button and select iOS 5 beta firmware (downloaded in Step 1). RedSn0w will recognize your IPSW file. Then hit Next.
Now check mark “Install Cydia” and hit Next.
Now make sure your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch is turned OFF and Plugged in to your computer. Hit Next.
Now you’ll be instructed to put your iDevice into DFU Mode. Follow the on screen instructions.
- Hold Down The Power (Corner) button for 3 Seconds
- Without releasing the Power button, also hold down the Home (Bottom Center) button for 10 seconds
- Without releasing the Home button, release the Power button BUT KEEP holding the Home button for 15 seconds
Once you’ve successfully entered into DFU mode, RedSn0w will start jailbreaking iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch 4G, 3G on iOS 5 tethered. When done! your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad will be jailbroken tethered on iOS 5.
How to Tether Boot
Each time you reboot/restart/turn off your iDevice you will have to connect it to a computer in order to boot it into jailbreak state. In order to do that:
Open Redsn0w, provide it the IPSW file and choose the option Just boot tethered right now and proceed.
- Download Sn0wbreeze 2.8b2 – iOS 5 beta jailbreak
- How to Jailbreak iOS 5 Beta with Sn0wbreeze 2.8b1
- How to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS (Old BootRom) iOS 5 with Sn0wBreeze 2.8 [Untethered]
- iOS 5 beta 2 Download Available Now!
- Jailbreak iOS 5 beta 2 with RedSn0w 0.9.8b