How to Update iPhone 3GS/3G Baseband to 06.15.00 with PwnageTool 4.1.3

UltraSn0w 1.2 is out now to unlock iOS 4.2.1 and 4.1 on iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G. Unfortunately, unlocking is pretty complicated this time. If your iPhone has baseband 05.14.02 or 05.15.01 you need to update baseband to 06.15.00 which is an iPad baseband came with iPad iOS 3.2.2.

If your iPhone has baseband 01.59.00, 05.13.04, 05.12.01, 05.11.07, or 04.26.08, then simply install UltraSn0w from Cydia. Baseband 05.14.02 or 05.15.01 users need to update baseband to 06.15.00 which is unlockable. We strongly suggest you to read this before you continue.

In this guide you’re going to learn how to update iPhone 3GS / 3G baseband to 06.15.00 to unlock iPhone later.

WARNING — YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!  PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF UPDATING TO 06.15.

1. There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple.  You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
  2. If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
  3. Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail).  You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).

Certainly don’t update to 06.15 if you don’t need to!  Only do this if you need the unlock and you’re stuck on 05.14 or 05.15, and you’re willing to assume the above risks.

*** Some users are reporting WiFi, GPS and battery drainage issues after jailbreak and unlock.

How to Update iPhone 3GS/3G to Baseband 06.15.00

Steps 1

Download the stuff linked below:

Step 2

Open the downloaded PwnageTool.dmg and copy the PwnageTool.app to your desktop/any folder and execute it from there.

Hit the OK button.

Step 3

Now select Expert Mode from the top left side of the window.

and then select your iDevice. Hit the Next button.

Step 4

Now hit the Browse for IPSW button and select iOS 4.2.1/4.1 firmware for your device (downloaded from Step 1).

We strongly recommend you to read this before you continue.

If you hit Yes, PwnageTool will once again ask you to Browse for IPSW. This time select the iPad iOS 3.2.2 IPSW.

Step 5

On next screen, Select General and hit the Next arrow button.

Step 6

* Select Activate the phone option if you’re on unofficial carrier.
* Do NOT select Activate the phone option if you’re on official carrier e.g. AT&T.

Step 7

Keep hitting Next button until you’re back to the same screen where you selected General.

Now Select the Build Option and Hit Next.

PwnageTool will prompt you to select a destination folder to save custom iOS 4.2.1/4.1.

PwnageTool will start building your Custom IPSW.

During the build process it’ll prompt you for your admin password.

click No for a more thorough restore.

Step 8

Once the custom IPSW has been built, PwnageTool will ask you to connect your iDevice to your computer. Once your device is detected, you’ll be instructed to put your iDevice into DFU mode.

* Press and hold the power + home buttons for 10 seconds.
* Release the power button but continue holding the home button for 10 seconds.

Once the iPhone/iPod Touch is in DFU mode, the follow popup message will appear. iTunes will also pop-up.

Step 9

In iTunes, hold the Alt/Option key and hit Restore. From the popup window, browse to the Folder where you saved custom iOS 4.2./4.1 and select you custom .ipsw file that you just created and click Open Button. (Make sure you’re selecting custom firmware, Not official one)

iTunes will now restore the firmware on your iPhone. This can take up to 10 minutes.

When done, you have successfully Jailbreak iOS 4.2.1/4.1 and with updated baseband 06.15.00 with PwnageTool 4.1.3. Now your iPhone is ready for unlock. Unlock guide will be posted shortly.

Also checkout:

Gabo November 29, 2010, 6:25 am

If you upload a custom firmware with baseband 6.15, we can restore with redsnow dfu mode?. For windows

lurkur December 21, 2010, 4:26 am

How can I get network service in order with Iphone 3Gs. I did jailbrake the phone with UltraSn0w and unlock it with Cydia. Now it seams that the phone is unable to load network list.

iphone November 29, 2010, 7:02 am

im using vista…and that is a dmg file which is apparently a mac file. what do i do?!
this is so frustrating i have an iphone 3G 5.14.02 and it is already jailbroken…would waiting some more let me avoid rejailbreaking it?…im getting really tired of waiting though. i just want to use my phone already

need4meat November 29, 2010, 7:18 am

is there a version of this but for windows users?
if anyone knows reply asap plz

bhen November 29, 2010, 7:44 am

no one has posted if this really worked.. anyone?

gregs29 November 29, 2010, 9:27 am

work for me guys i used mac work perfect

Otani November 29, 2010, 8:00 am

Can this unlock and Untethered Jailbreak the 3Gs(new bootrom) on 05.13.04?

indi November 29, 2010, 8:38 am

just stay @ baseband 5.13, you can jb by custom FW, and unlock by ultrasn0w, it works perfectly

this is only for ip accidently on baseband 5.14/5.15

Srikanth4285 November 29, 2010, 8:18 am

My phone(3GS old-bootrom) is on 4.1 unlocked with BB 05.13.04 (restored through custom firmware).

Can any one help me how to update my phone to 4.2.1

indi November 29, 2010, 8:39 am

stay where you are until there is a better tool coming out :D

Srikanth4285 November 29, 2010, 9:19 pm

Can any one update with update#3 please…

iPhone Heat can you please update with update#3..

max November 29, 2010, 9:02 am

the dmg file isnt opening. im running vista…will software come out that is vista compatible?

PSC November 30, 2010, 9:21 am

DMG file is only for Mac users. You need to download the new Redsn0w for windows.

leonard November 29, 2010, 9:49 am

will this work on ios 4.1 baseband 02.10.04? please let me know how to do it because i am new to this unlock.

indi November 29, 2010, 2:42 pm

iPhone 4 is still waiting :(

otani November 29, 2010, 10:03 am

Can this unlock and Untethered Jailbreak the 3Gs(new bootrom) on 05.14.02?

indi November 29, 2010, 2:42 pm

Yes if you stay @ iOS 4.1 baseband 6.15

deccas November 29, 2010, 11:57 am

redsn0w 0.9.6b5 was released
so use that if your on windows
does anyone know if the new redsn0w hacktivates

musjou November 29, 2010, 1:22 pm

PwnageTool 4.1.3 for Windows ???

AfRoO November 29, 2010, 1:37 pm

hey
QUESTION to iPHONE-HEAT pls,
Guyz, does this steps worked with iPHONE 3Gs NEW BootLoader??

thanx

AfRoO November 29, 2010, 2:22 pm

Hey
The Dev-Team has updated redsn0w to version 0.9.6beta5 for unlockers. Below is all the info.

Update #2: The new redsn0w 0.9.6beta5 is out. It gives both Windows and OSX users the ability to flash the iPad 06.15 baseband on iPhone3G or iPhone3GS. It fetches the baseband files directly from Apple for now (the only IPSW you ever point it at is the stock IPSW for the FW on your iPhone right now). There may be a long delay while it’s doing this (their servers are currently getting pounded).
windows user :http:// sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.6b5.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

OSX user: http:// sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_mac_0.9.6b5.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

If you do flash your baseband via redsn0w, please keep it plugged into USB the whole time. You don’t want your battery to die during the flash process!…

hope fully for iPHONE-HEAT to give u more info

Good luck,

Anurag November 29, 2010, 4:39 pm

I did everything detailed in this Guide on my Iphone 3GS with 5.14.2 and updated to the ipad firmware + installed ultraSn0w 1.2 But it’s still searching for a carrier ???

And is Settings>Carrier it says “Unable to load network list” ???

Wat’s going on ? I am now stuck with an un-official firmware (can’t go back) & the unlock ain’t working either ?

What to do ?

psycokitty October 20, 2011, 11:29 am

U R SCREWED HAHAHAHA!

Dlawa November 29, 2010, 5:02 pm

Hey!

Does this jailbraik and unlock also work, if my Iphone 3GS FW 4.1 BB 05.14.02 allready has been jailbroken by limera1n and Cydia installed?

Tnx.

AC7 November 29, 2010, 7:16 pm

yes it will work, i tried the same

luis9878 November 29, 2010, 6:22 pm

i did the jeilbreak baseband 6.15.00 but my iphone still is on baseband 5.14.02

Anurag November 29, 2010, 8:47 pm

Same here my base band is still at 5.14.2 I think we need to update the pwnage with the update firmware they have on the blog

junjanic November 29, 2010, 9:33 pm

if I don’t to update my bb 5.14.2 to 6.15,
can I wait for the better ultrasn0w. will
you guys do it? Thanks!

danny November 29, 2010, 11:01 pm

hi
i have iphone3g ios4.0.1 bb 5.12.04 will it unlock after ios 4.2.1 update

najAF November 29, 2010, 11:02 pm

hey gyz i am jailbreaking with ultrasnw and at the end it hangs on wait reboot device and nothing happnd i wait for a long time can any one help plzzzzz…..

najAF November 29, 2010, 11:08 pm

sorry jailbreaking with redsnow

Srikanth4285 November 29, 2010, 11:13 pm

restart the phone and try to jailbreak again using redsn0w

najAF November 29, 2010, 11:14 pm

i have tried it 3 times and 3 times with installing 4.2.1

najAF November 29, 2010, 11:15 pm

how long it takes normally?

Srikanth4285 November 29, 2010, 11:19 pm

are u installing 4.2.1 or jailbreaking?
is your phone 3G/3GS(Old/New bootrom)?

najAF November 29, 2010, 11:22 pm

3g and i dnt knw abut bootroom plz guide me

Srikanth4285 November 29, 2010, 11:29 pm

restart your phone and restore it again with itunes to 4.2.1 then try to jailbreak with redsn0w.

follow the steps http://www.iphoneheat.com/2010/11/jailbreak-iphone-3gs3g-ios-4-2-1-and-update-to-baseband-06-15-00-with-redsn0w-0-9-6b5/

najAF November 29, 2010, 11:23 pm

i am jailbraking at the end it hang where it says wait rebooting device

citizen421 November 30, 2010, 3:42 am

Hi.
I got an iPhone 3G that was downgraded from iOS 4.1 to 3.1.3 and it has baseband 05.14.02.
Do I need to upgrade back to 4.1 in order to unlock the phone?

Bling November 30, 2010, 5:57 am

Can Iphoneheat help? I used PwnageTool 4.1.3 to update baseband to 06.15.00. I tried the itune to install the customised firmware, but an Error message popped up during the restoring. Now my iphone is stuck at recovery mode. I tried to restore a several times and same happened. Please help. Thank you very much!

iPhoneHeat December 1, 2010, 2:23 am

error?

djvolak December 1, 2010, 8:10 am

try kicking it out of recovery mode with tiny umbrella

iceman0013 December 7, 2010, 4:45 am

IPHONE HEAT. I am having the same issue, I am stuck in restore mode after restoring the custom IPSW. I get an error of 1015 when restoring the firmware, I have tried Tiny Umbrella and it will not come out of recovery mode. pls help

AfRoO December 7, 2010, 4:53 am

it’s okey, Text me I have the solution.
facebook.com/AhmedAfRoO
catch yea there

iceman0013 December 7, 2010, 6:01 am

I would love to text you, but my phone is stuck in recovery mode……

AfRoO December 7, 2010, 1:03 pm

you Don’t Need to iDevice, you can text me 24/7 on:
facebook.com/AhmedAfRoO,

Catch yea there.

iceman0013 December 7, 2010, 6:04 pm

I figured it out, I created a custom IPSW with Pawnage tool and ansered NO to the 6.15 firmware question. worked like a charm

manitani December 9, 2010, 2:10 am

hey hw u ressolve this issue. As i am also stuck at same place after upgrading my iphone to ipad baseband. Nw my iphone 3gs is in DFU mode.

please help.

PSC November 30, 2010, 9:29 am

Worked like a charm! Thank you Dev Team!

citizen421 November 30, 2010, 8:32 pm

I have an iPhone 3G that has baseband 5.14.02 with firmware 3.1.3.

Can I select 3.1.3 firmware in Step 4 or do I need to upgrade the firmware to iOS 4.1 to upgrade the baseband?

iPhoneHeat December 1, 2010, 2:06 am

All iOS 4.x don’t play nice with i3G. So i suggest you to stay with 3.1.3

AfRoO December 1, 2010, 5:36 am

guyz I have idea it might help us as windows user any body using Mac or have mac so he or she could help us windows user????

djvolak December 1, 2010, 8:00 am

I am on a macbook pro and can not seem to get the pwnage tool to download to open for me

djvolak December 1, 2010, 10:53 am

Played a bit and found it on iphone world to where it would download on my mac. Followed the steps so should be working now. Thanks Dev team!!

lucky December 1, 2010, 9:24 am

iphoneheat admin,
Pls help me..i have locked iphone 3gs(not sure if its new or old bootrom) running on 4.1os bb-05.14.02…i need to unlock to use my local carrier…some of them posted unlocking with 4.1 os was successfull…i want to know the exact solution before going about the unlock process cuz i was waiting for 3 month :( pls respond..

Thank You.

Real AfRoO December 1, 2010, 12:59 pm

Man if I were, u ill stay away cuz it will f&uck u down, also ur not allow to restore with factory FW in future, also ur not allow to go back , and u might lose ANY of WIIFI or GPShit..

good luck

Lucky December 2, 2010, 7:11 am

But I can use it as iPod only…I wanted to use iPhone…’m very desperate!!!

AfRoO December 2, 2010, 1:20 pm

it depend,, if u kept ur iPhone safe, and pure without upgrading BB you’ll still allowed to use it as iPOD iPHONE Camera, or even Net & email Browser,
but if u want to upgrade ur BB u might lose ur WiFi so in case u lost WiFi, I think u have noway to install Ultrasn0w u might Lose GPS so ur not allowed to use Locate apps, or Locations in Token photos, ALSO UR iPHONE might stick in Apple Logo, anyways,
for me my 3Gs worked perfectly for less then 5 mins then stuck when I restart it,

my Advice
better for u to stay away cus even if ur Upgradeable worked perfectly, u r not allow to use any official FW with this iPAD BB.

goodluck

Dlawa December 1, 2010, 2:45 pm

Ok! Yesterday i unlocked my Iphone 3GS 4.1 Baseband 05.14.02

First i tried it with Pwnagetool above. That did not worked for me. So i tried the new redsnow.

I only needed the FW that was insalled on my Iphone. Then i just Followed the menu. Select your FW then give the correct answer if your iphone is a new fixed model. That’s seemed to be very important.

After that just select instal Cydia and Insatl Ipad BB. Note i did not have to select the firmware i think that the FW of the Ipad is integraded in redsnow. Then you have to put your iphone in DFU (It’s all explained good in Redsnow, just read en follow the steps.

Redsnow installed it perfectly after Redsnow did his work i installed the ultrasn0w unlock for the baseband 06.15.00 with Cydia.

After all that waiting it was almost to easy to update and unlock my Iphone. It was done in almost 15min!

Tnx to Redsnow!

John December 2, 2010, 10:06 am

Same with Gabo’s comment. This site is great because it uploads the activated and not activated files for windows users who can’t use pwnagetool. I hope you guys can upload it soon. I have a 3Gs new bootrom with updated 06.15 baseband in recovery mode. I can fix it by going into redsn0w and putting it into pwned state and restore with custom firmware right? I have not been able to myself on a mac yet :(

jojo December 4, 2010, 10:39 am

I am soooo upset help me.
3gs 4.2.1 05.15.04 Can’t get any of the redsn0w to finish ram loading. What Now. Help me this is so confusing

Chichiko December 4, 2010, 10:50 pm

I used PwnageTool 4.1.3 to update baseband to 06.15.00. I tried the itune to install the customised firmware, but i cannot resotre costomised firmware.

Chichiko December 4, 2010, 11:54 pm

I used PwnageTool 4.1.3 to update baseband to 06.15.00. I tried the itune to install the customised firmware, but i cannot restore costomised firmware.

roja December 4, 2010, 11:54 pm

i cant restore it to the custom ipsw, i get an error: the iphone is not eligible for this build. help…:(

Kev0r December 5, 2010, 11:27 pm

I have the same, Itunes does not recognize the build.

AfRoO December 6, 2010, 4:20 am

Guyz your iPHONE 3G/3Gs Stuck on Recovery Mode after Upgrading to iOS4.1/4.2 Baseband 6.1.5??
it’s okey, Text me I have the solution.

facebook.com/AhmedAfRoO

catch yea there

Dlawa December 6, 2010, 2:55 pm

I just used redsnow. The program did all the work! I did not have to use itunes at all…?

I also did not upgrade my Iphone 3GS. It was still on 4.1 BB 05.14.02 when i used redsnow.

It also was the first time i jailbreak and unlocked a iphone so i’m a bit of a noob with this. So i’m a bit suprised that some of you still having problems with unlocking your iphone.

Good luck!

Mario December 6, 2010, 8:37 pm

Hey can someone help me? I have Iphone3g with software 4.1 I already downgraded it to 4.0.1 I installed cydia and ultrasnow but it doesnt work. What i noticed my baseband is 05.14.02 and i dont know how to change it i have tryed already fuzzyband but it doesnt work also. Is there any option to unlock my phone without upgradeing to 06.15.00 ? Please help.

Dlawa December 9, 2010, 4:23 pm

Hey Mario,

My Iphone was on FW 4.1 Baseband 05.14.02

I used redsnow i did not downgraded my FW. I used the new redsnow. Redsnow does all the stuff for you. And it also upgrade your baseband. This has to be don, because you can only unlock 05.14.02 when its on 06.15.00.

Just search a tutorial it’s not that hard to update and after that just unlock it through cydia ultrasnow unlock.

tschortsch December 10, 2010, 1:47 am

Hi guys,

I got an iphone 3gs from my cousin who used with a contract which i won´t obviously. old bootrom, FW 4.2.1 Baseband 05.14.02. I tried redsn0w, I tried limera1n, I tried pwnage 4.1.3. and greenpoisen

with redn0w I get stuck on “exploiting with limera1n”

greenpoisen won´t do anything

limera1n gets stuck on “release powerbutton”

pwnage works when I, as descirbed, use the 4.1 FW and 3.2.2 iPad patch to create a custom ipsw. but i can´t restore the phone with it because itunes tells me that the FW is not compatibel!

When I use the 4.2.1 FW instead of the 4.1 FW pwnage tells me that i have the wrong FW

ANY HELP?!

trish748 February 27, 2011, 4:23 am

we actually have the same problem and i need to unlock my iphone can anyone help? i have an iphone 3Gs Version 4.2.1 with a BB 5.15.04 when Pwnage ask me to select IPSW i select on 4.2 since that is my firmware but it wont let me so i select on 4.1 then it goes thru all the steps then when it goes to itunes for restore it would give me an error?!

can anyone help?

trish748 February 27, 2011, 4:23 am

can anyone help?

tonww December 13, 2010, 9:06 am

Hi,

In step “You will now be asked if you want to update your baseband to 06.15.00. If you are on 05.14 or 05.15 or later and depend on unlock hit the OK button. If you do NOT need unlock hit No.
We strongly recommend you to read this before you continue.”

My question is what if my BB is on 5.13.04 and still want to be able to unlock, should I also click OK? And if I click no, will it update my BB to the 4.2.1 IOS BB?

thanks for any response to phuocton@hotmail.com

rockstar December 13, 2010, 10:20 pm

Hi guys,
Can any one help me out with this please., comments will be personally highly appreciated.
i got a iphone4 with 4.1 with fir ware. 2.something. i managed to open and jailbreak the phone. can any one help me how to unlock the phone???

Rockstar5467 December 16, 2010, 3:10 pm

Hi guys please help me out,
i got a iphone4 with 4.1 with firmware. 2.something. i managed to open and jailbreak the phone. can any one help me how to unlock the phone??? Bplease help me out with this guys .. Cos I’m a hard core fan of this site cos people leave a reply after reading which helps and means a lot to others

Jess December 16, 2010, 5:34 am

Hi!!!
I have a jailbroken & unlocked 3gs (3.1.3 / 05.12.01)

I want to use PwnageTool to upgrade to IOS 4.1, but I dont know if I should download the Ipad ipsw to upgrade the baseband to 06.15… I think I should keep 05.12.01… WHICH ARE THE STEPS TO DO THIS?? IS IT POSIBLE??

HELP PLEASEEE!!!

Iphonemine December 19, 2010, 3:19 am

how can I open PwnageTool 4.1.3 dmg file on Vista.Please help the link it’s not working too. Please help I need to unlock my phone, I have been waiting so long! Pleaseeeee:(

Jess December 21, 2010, 11:02 pm

Pwnage tool is for MAC… Try SnowBreeze in Windows

Iphonemine December 23, 2010, 7:46 pm

can I update baseband with snowbreeze?

rachel January 13, 2011, 1:48 pm

hi i need help! i have an iphone 3g 4.1 version 4.1 baseband 5.14.2. i did all the steps and iphone is already on dfu/recovery mode and stuck on itunes restore which said iphone could not be restored bcoz the firmware file is not compatible. (iPad1,1_3.2.2_7B500_Restore.ipsw). what should i do? pls help!!

ozguy March 31, 2011, 8:55 pm

Hey iceman0013,

Thanks for the advice on the 1015 error.

After first jail breaking and unlocking my phone I found that the ATT network would not work, and when I tried to restore (using a “non activated” ipsw) i got the 1015 error, because I selected the BB update.

Now i have 2 IPSW’s. One to restore for ATT (not activated), and one for unlock (activated).

I thought once it was unlocked (activated), it would work for any network, including AT&T, but I could not get ATT to work using the activated IPSW.

Is there a step I missed?, or do I have to restore to the activated IPSW each time I go overseas and want to use my phone unlocked?

Thanks in advance.

ozguy March 31, 2011, 10:10 pm

Answering my own question.

Pwnage allowed me to jail break my phone and install BB 6.15.0 to prepare the phone for unlocking.

After successfully jail breaking the phone, you then install ultrasn0w (v 1.2 as of writing) which then unlocks the phone for use with any carrier including AT&T.

arvind_90 June 26, 2011, 10:51 pm

perfect….thank u …it worked perfectly.

Dinesh August 15, 2011, 1:35 am

Will this work on iOS 4.3.4 ???

apple October 2, 2011, 4:37 pm

What should we do for Windows?

georgioray November 24, 2011, 5:35 am

Hey guys, I updated my friend’s 3G to baseband 6.15.00 a while back so he could use it unlocked and unfortunately he did a restore on it through itunes and of course he messed it up. The page here mentions if that happens to recover with a custom ipsw, whats the best way to do that? Any help is appreciated, Thx.

wesam February 6, 2012, 3:00 pm

i have 3gs and baseband 6.15.00 and framware 4.2.1
what i instal to open network

MP February 26, 2012, 5:28 am

I updated my 3gs baseband to 6.15.00 and the unlock never actually worked, but that doesnt matter. My phones on 4.3.2 and I really want ios5, but if I plug it right into iTunes to restore and update that will wreck my phone.. soo how does this work so I can get ios5?

fadysamir July 17, 2012, 9:05 am

please i have a iphone 3gs im updating to 5.1.1 and baseband now 05.16.05 and i check my boot room im on new boot room but my siral number xx019500xxx but i check my boot room said to me new boot room
i can update baseband 06.15 ipad not have proplam and downgrade ipad baseband no proplm?

scilatica August 5, 2012, 2:34 am

I followed the directions and I got an error code on iTunes: 1601. any idea? the phone still works it just didn’t restore

Seal May 12, 2014, 7:38 pm

I have a iPhone 3G ios 4.2.1 and I could not did updated iOS updated version and did not download game ,when I order to install game it say this game Is require 4.3 or iOS 6 .so I did not download any game or app .. .I already install Cydia . What to do some one help me???????? Pls

Sam11 November 15, 2014, 10:48 am

A very late comment for an old hack… wanted to unlock an old phone. There is something very strange about this process that no-one has mentioned here. Why the heck the build here needs MAC’s admin password to build an image? This is a user-space program that just builds a backup image for the iOS phone and not the MAC. It seems to me that this program is trying to install something on the MAC … but what? And why?
The heck with this … who wants to introduce a problem in a MAC to activate an old phone.