Using TinyUmbrella you can save SHSH blobs for iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, iPad, iPod Touch 4G, 3G, 2G and AppleTV 2g. In this guide you’ll learn how to save SHSH blobs for iOS 4.x, 3.1.x firmware with TinyUmbrella in both Windows and Mac OS X.
What is TinyUmbrella?
TinyUmbrella is a unified version of Firmware Umbrella and TinyTSS. For more details, click here.
What is an SHSH Blob?
An SHSH is a secure signature hash. Basically its a unique key. (To avoid a lengthy discussion).
Why to Save SHSH Blobs?
Apple only allows you to restore to the firmwares they ‘sign’. This ‘signing’ only lasts for a limited time. Once they stop ‘signing’ the SHSHs for a firmware, there is no way to restore that firmware ever again. The core purpose of saving SHSH blobs is to secure future jailbreak. If you want to downgrade back to and older iOS 4.x, you will need your SHSH blobs saved either on Cydia or in your computer via TinyUmbrella.
Cydia can save SHSH blobs automatically (If you have ever tapped the “Make My Life Easier!”), it is recommended to use TinyUmbrella to ensure that you have SHSH blobs on file both on Cydia and on your Computer.
This TinyUmbrella guide applies to:
- iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G
- iPod Touch 4G, 3G, 2G
- iPad2, 1
- Apple TV 2G
- TinyUmbrella can save SHSH blobs regardless of jailbreak.
- You can save SHSH blobs for any latest firmware even if you’re on an older.
- It does not matter what firmware version is on the device TinyUmbrella will get the currently signed firmware + all blobs saved at Cydia Server (if any) by default.
- iPhone 2G and iPod Touch 1G users do NOT need to save SHSH blobs.
- iPhone 3G, and iPod Touch 2G (MC) users need SHSH blobs for iOS 4.x/newer only. SHSH does NOT apply to iOS 3.x for these devices
Follow the Steps mentioned below to save SHSH blobs of iOS 4.x, 3.x firmware for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 3G and iPod Touch 2G (MC).
How to Save SHSH Blobs for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
Run the TinyUmbrella.
(Mac users: Copy the app to your desktop or you’ll get repeating password prompts if you ran the app from within the DMG).
Now Connect your iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, 3G, iPod Touch 4G, 3G 2G, iPad or Apple TV 2G to your computer. TinyUmbrella will detect your iDevice.
- Make Sure iTunes is closed
- Now Simply Hit the Save SHSH button at Top-Right side of the window.
TinyUmbrella will save SHSH blobs of the latest firmware + all those blobs that you had saved for older firmwares (if any) on Cydia server. This will also generate a ticket to save SHSH blobs for the latest firmware to Cydia server.
All Done! You have secured your future jailbreak by saving SHSH blobs for iOS 4.x using TinyUmbrella. You can find the saved SHSH file directory under advanced Tab on TinyUmbrella and Cydia will also display your Saved SHSH blobs/status pending.
MAC ONLY: When I try running TinyUmbrella it crashes, in console.app it shows an error 255. How can I fix that?
A: This is a permissions issue. Run the following from Terminal:
- sudo chown -R $USER ~
- sudo chmod -R u+rw ~
And then after that reinstall TinyUmbrella. This should solve the issue.
- Downgrade iOS 4.2 to iOS 4.1, 4.x
- Downgrade iOS 4.1 to 4.0.1, 4.0, 3.1.x
- Downgrade iOS 4.0 to 3.1.3, 3.1.2
- How to: Jailbreak iOS 4
- How to: Unlock iOS 4
- AppSync 4: MobileInstallation Patch for iOS 4 (Install cracked apps)
If this page or section of the page needs to be updated, Submit Request
Leave a Reply