Jailbreak iOS 4 Firmware with Sn0wBreeze 1.6

Sn0wbreeze 1.6 is available now to jailbreak iOS 4.0 firmware on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G. Sn0wBreeze is exactly similar to the PwnageTool but unlike PwnageTool, Sn0wBreeze supports Windows OS. In this guide you’ll learn how to create a custom firmware with sn0wBreeze v1.6 to jailbreak iOS 4 firmware.
sn0wbreeze ios 4
If you don’t want to go through all the steps below, we have also posted Custom iOS 4 ready made with PwnageTool here:

Sn0wBreeze can jailbreak:

• iPhone 3GS [Old BootRom + Already Jailbroken but not with Spirit Spirit jailbroken devices are now supported with Sn0wBreeze 1.6.2, Download link has been updated] [How to: check iPhone 3GS BootRom]
  • iPhone 3G
  • iPod Touch 2G (non-MC)
  • If you’re already on iOS 4, 3GS users are still out of luck. However iPhone 3G and iPod Touch users can use RedSn0w to jailbreak iOS 4.

Sn0wBreeze is available for Windows users only. Let’s jailbreak iOS 4.0 on iPhone 3GS, 3G and iPod Touch 2G with Sn0wBreeze while preserving iPhone baseband.

Disclaimer: This guide is for testing and educational purposes only. Use it at your own risk. We cannot be held responsible if anything goes wrong.

How to Jailbreak iOS 4 with Sn0wBreeze 1.6

NOTE: All the required stuff is linked below under Downloads.

Step 1

Install the iTunes and .NET Framework 3.5 (required for Sn0wbreeze). Make sure you’ve installed the latest version of iTunes. Open the iTunes and backup your iPhone data. Now you can proceed. (Download Links below)

Put the iOS 4.0 Firmware and Sn0wBreeze v1.6 into a folder on your desktop. (Download links below)

Step 2

Run the Sn0wBreeze v1.6 for iOS 4 and hit next button.

sn0wbreeze 1.6 ios4sn0wbreeze 1.6 ios4

Step 3

choose Simple Mode. Click the Next Arrow button.

sn0wbreeze 1.6 ios4

Step 4

Sn0wBreeze will ask for the iOS 4 IPSW file for your iPhone or iPod Touch. Click on the Browse button and navigate to the folder where you put your iOS 4.0 IPSW file and select it.

sn0wbreeze 1.6 ios4

Step 5

Sn0wBreeze will verify your selected firmware 3.1.3 file. Hit Next.

sn0wbreeze 1.6 ios4sn0wbreeze 1.6 ios4

Step 6

On the next screen, Sn0wBreeze will ask you: Do you want to activate your iPhone?

Hit Yes button for hacktivation (for unofficial carriers)
Hit No if you want to use official carrier (AT&T etc).

sn0wbreeze 1.6 ios4

Step 7

Hit the Start button. SnowBreeze will start building custom firmware for your iPhone that we will use later to jailbreak iOS 4.0.

sn0wbreeze 1.6 ios4

Step 8

Once the custom IPSW file building process is complete, Sn0wbreeze will prompt you if your iPhone is already jailbroken or not. Select the right option.

sn0wbreeze 1.6 ios4

Step 9

Then Sn0wBreeze will tell if if you need to put your iPhone into recover mode or DFU Mode depending on whether you iPhone ws jailbroken or not. now it’s time to restore your iPhone with that custom firmware that you just built using Sn0wBreeze.

sn0wbreeze 1.6 ios4sn0wbreeze 1.6 ios4

Step 10

Connect your iPhone to iTunes and select your iPhone from the left navigation pane in iTunes. Hold Down the SHIFT key on your keyboard and hit the Restore button (SHIFT + Restore)

Step 11

Now the iTunes will ask for the IPSW firmware file. Browse to the custom firmware iOS 4 that you built using Sn0wBreeze and select it.

iTunes will Restore your iPhone with custom iOS 4.0 created with Sn0wBreeze. Once the iTunes is done with the restore process, your iPhone will restart automatically.

Voila! you’ve a fully jailbroken iPhone with iOS 4.

Downloads

Fix error 1604, 16xx, 29 During Custom Firmware Restore

You may encounter error error 1604, 1600, 1601, 1602, 1603, or 29 during custom firmware restore. We have compiled possible solutions to this error here:

Unlock iOS 4.0

Now that you’ve jailbroken your iPhone running iOS 4.0. Now if you also want to unlock your iPhone with any baseband then follow the link below:

How to: Unlock iOS 4 with UltraSn0w

Also Checkout:

Updates

Ayman June 24, 2010, 10:46 am

I jailbreak my iphone 3GS(factory unlocked) just to install cydia using spiritjb so can i update my iphone to OS4 from apple to reset what spirit did and then use Custom OS or Sn0wBreeze 1.6 to JB again ?

james95363 June 24, 2010, 6:31 pm

@ ayman you need to have it jailbroken b4 you use snowbreeze. Do this: downgrade to 1.1.3, jailbreak it but not with spirit, then you can go ahead and use spirit

james95363 June 24, 2010, 6:34 pm

correction to last part of above comment you use snowbreeze ( follow this guide) for the last step

narayan June 24, 2010, 11:47 pm

hey i also hav same issue . if u get a ans pls report here.
one ans i got is to 1st downgrade it to 3.1.2 n jailbreak with redsn0w n then go for iOS4.

Panda June 24, 2010, 11:01 am

does this work for 5.11.07?

TarekElmalah June 24, 2010, 11:28 am

i do not understand what you mean by
3GS [Old BootRom + Already Jailbroken but not with Spirit]
what old bootrom , and it must be jailbroken before ?
Please explain more if you can thanks , just wanna be sure before i do it !

Panda June 24, 2010, 11:31 am

Do you have to already be on 4.0 first?

NiNjA June 24, 2010, 12:23 pm

Old BootRom + Already Jailbroken!!!

Not really a big release is it! What about those guys who got iOS4 and that has never been jailbroken??

I think it’s better to wait for my man Spirit to do his magic on the iPhone!

sowat99 June 24, 2010, 2:08 pm

so this doesnt work with new bootroms then?

Sekelli June 24, 2010, 4:08 pm

Im waiting this version from 23 and now That dont work for m’y 3gs mc model boot 6.4 🙁

Conspiracy June 24, 2010, 4:41 pm

I get error 1604 with my iphone 3G

twoshay June 25, 2010, 5:40 am

I am getting the same error, any ideas?

Ruwan Lokubalasooriya June 24, 2010, 9:28 pm

I tried many times to install custom iOS4.
Recovery mode method doesn’t work…
It only worked for normal Shift+Restore on iTunes.

Thanks 🙂

mp noon June 25, 2010, 3:27 am

for real?
So, the thing was that I need to make a normal shift+restore… X(…

LiveOrDie June 24, 2010, 10:35 pm

Come on i need a full jailbreak for 4.0

mp noon June 24, 2010, 11:51 pm

that doesn’t work.
for device already jailbroken… it is a big joke ever.

iPhoneHeat June 25, 2010, 2:28 am

Your device specs? and the jailbreak tool u used earlier?

mp noon June 25, 2010, 3:21 am

iphone 3gs, 32 gb, old bootroom, baseband 5.12.01.
Nevermind, I just go to the iOS4, and the baseband now is 5.13.xx.
The thing is that my phone need to jailbreak already at that time, but how can I jailbreak it?
The last time I used the Spirit to jailbreak it, because I accidentally upgraded it to the 3.1.3 (The lady from Apple did it, not me).
Also, I got some bad behaviors from Apple representatives at 2 days ago. Apple thought that they are in the peek now, and people need them. Hell with them !!!

iPhoneHeat June 25, 2010, 5:29 am

If you have SHSH saved for 3.1.2..
downgrade >> Jailbreak >> then go for Custom iOS 4 with Pwnage or Sn0wBreeze

mp noon June 25, 2010, 6:10 am

oh, thanks a lot. However, the thing is that I save my SHSH file for 3.1.2 once, but I went to the 3.1.3 after that. Then, I save SHSH file for 3.1.3.
Can you give me the link to downgrade from os4 to 3.1.3 ?
Thank you, man.
I’m waiting for blackra1n,and unlock method for spirit.

mp noon June 25, 2010, 3:25 am

And, for Snowbreeze, it is not the method to jailbreak the idevice. It is just a next step to upgrade to the new firmware without losing the possibility to unlock it.
what happens if the idevice is stuck with the new baseband, and cannot jailbreak?
Snowbreeze? WHat is that? A method >>> nope!

iPhoneHeat June 25, 2010, 5:30 am

Sn0wBreeze creates a custom firmware just like PwnageTool.. and yes this custom firmware, when restored, jailbreaks your iPhone + hacktivate it.. then you can install ultraSn0w to unlock all basebands to date including 05.13.x..

mp noon June 25, 2010, 3:35 am

One more thing, the Snowbreeze didn’t ask me about my iphone whether it is jailbroken or not. Instead asking me, it gave me the warning about the 3gs like this device cannot jailbreak by Snowbreeze unless it was jailbroken before, and NOT WITH SPIRIT.
So, I restore the phone to get rid of Spirit. I wanted it to back in 3.1.3, but the weird thing is Apple didn’t allow it. Whhen I tried to restore to 3.1.3, The itune said the device is not eligible to this build ???? hahahahah, another trick from Apple.
Confused X( … And I use Snowbreeze to make a custom ipsw, try to use it with my phone, and it is stuck with itune help screen.
I tried to restore it so many times, and the iOS4 was the last thing that went through the 9.2 itune freaking thing.
X( I am now losing the jailbreak possibility, just waiting for anorther method…
Snowbreeze does messed-up… X(

iPhoneHeat June 25, 2010, 5:34 am

Sn0wBreeze is OK.. it’s your device that doesn’t fulfill the pre-requisites..
make sure you’ve read the complete guide..

Apple stops signing older firmwares once a new one is out.. so cannot restore older fw on 3G, iTouch 3G and new devices
However you can downgrade only if you’ve SHSH saved for that specific older firmware

Anon Ymos June 25, 2010, 2:44 am

getting error 16xx too

shaiha June 27, 2010, 12:21 pm

getting error 1600 ‘ what to do?

jack June 25, 2010, 2:47 am

can’t get it to work with my 3g

thantz June 25, 2010, 10:51 am

getting error 16xx

waseem4u June 25, 2010, 9:41 pm

I jailbroke iPhone 3Gs with snowbreeze and unlocked it with ultrasnow, everything looks fine until I tried to send an MMS, and was disappointed to see that there is no option for MMS in the application. I tried to find the settings for MMS in settings, but couldn’t find it.Please help.
Is

Ayman June 26, 2010, 12:29 am

can i create a custom OS 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 with snowbreeze 1.6.1

versetti June 26, 2010, 1:27 am

I’ve done it, everything goes easy.

colganraz June 26, 2010, 6:09 am

your lucky… tried 4x using every possible way, 1600 and 1604 error

Sekelli June 26, 2010, 2:25 am

I havé 3gs 3.1.3 jailbroken with Spirit and unlocked i havé old br and i dont havé shsh saved for 3.1.2 then plz tell me what CAN i do to upgrade to ios4 t’y.

iPhoneHeat June 26, 2010, 7:54 am

No you cannot ATM

jack June 26, 2010, 5:29 am

use redsn0w. so much easier

Rui June 26, 2010, 6:56 am

i have a 3gs 32gb.
it’s already at iOS4 official.
is it possible to follow these steps to jailbreak?

if not, is it possible to downgrade to 3.1.3 so i can jailbreak?

please help, thanks!

Sekelli June 26, 2010, 6:57 am

I havé 3gs and redsnow is only for 3G

Sekelli June 26, 2010, 7:11 am

And if i restaur m’y 3gs with a custum firm 3.1.3 with snow breez just for delete Spirit jailbreak and after update with custom ios4 Will this work ? T’y in advance

Sekelli June 26, 2010, 4:13 pm

Nô because jailbreak snow dont work on Spirit jail

nthnyfong June 28, 2010, 1:43 pm

MY IPHONE 3G 8G
BASEBAND 05.11.07, OS 3.1.2, ALREADY JAILBREAK WITH BLACKRAIN N UNLOCK WITH ULTRASNOW..
1 CAN I DIRECT RESTORE THE CUSTOM FIRMWARE OS4.O TO MY IPHONE?
2 LAST TIME I GOT TRY USE SNOWBREZZE CREATED CUSTOM FIRMWARE, THEN TRY RESTORE USING ITUNES 9.1 FOLLOW UR INSTRUCTION, BUT ITS STRUCK IN HALF WAY. I TRY FEW TIME N PUT IN DFU MODE OSO CANT. Y?
TQ IPHONEHEAT, UR SOLUTION HELP ME MANY.. TQ

iPhoneHeat June 29, 2010, 3:34 pm

Yes go for the custom iOS 4..
you can also go straight to iOS 4 stock firmware and then jailbreak with RedSn0w and then unlock with UltraSn0w coz latest baseband is unlockable now.
But if you want to preserves the baseband then CFW is the way to go.

Sevon June 29, 2010, 4:51 am

I tried to open the program sn0wbreeze v1.6.1 in windows 7 and I keep gettin the error “is not a certified win-32 program…”

noeliesky June 29, 2010, 4:36 pm

i get a message saying that the program (snowbreeze) is an invalid win 32 prog

Tomsiphone July 3, 2010, 4:31 am

I have a 3GS with the old bootrom (359.3) BUT week 41 and MC model. I figured “what the hell…it’s an old bootrom”

Anyhow, it worked perfectly, no errors and no issues.

I saved the new SHSH filed and all is well.

Thanks guys!!

iPhoneHeat July 3, 2010, 9:47 am

MC thing applies to iPod Touches only.. for 3GS you need to know your BootRom..
and have fun with your jailbroken 3GS

Tomsiphone July 5, 2010, 4:45 pm

Thanks for the info on the MC.

There are so much different information out there concerning JB’ing (what can and cannot be JB’n) week numbers, MC or no MC, Pwn vs Redsn0w vs Blackra1n… and so much more that it makes you wonder who’s right and who’s not.

So, I had my SHSH’s for 3.1.2 and all the tools ready to go back, JIC this didn’t work.

But, it worked perfectly, the first time and thanks for your guidelines.

Ciao…

Please help.. July 17, 2010, 2:22 am

I have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS (old boot). I am using it with AT&T, but I do not have the data plan (i.e., for AT&T I am a non-iPhone user). Should I select hactivation or not? Kindly advice…

iPhoneHeat July 17, 2010, 3:48 pm

your device specs? firmware bb?

Andrew July 23, 2010, 9:47 pm

Hi, i have a 3gs 32gb.
it’s already at iOS4 official.
is it possible to follow these steps to jailbreak?

if not, is it possible to downgrade to 3.1.3 so i can jailbreak an unlock it??

please help!! thanks!!

iPhoneHeat July 24, 2010, 1:38 am

wait for a few days.. new jailbreak is on its way

Andrew July 24, 2010, 3:20 am

Understood. Thanks! Will wait than.

ottomo July 24, 2010, 5:36 am

I doing my iPhone with your step for jailbreak Iphone 3GS with iOS 4.0 but when the building IPSW was completed and will doing next step 10 by will connect to iTune and push Shift + Restore button that it’s checking restore with Apple and alert “Error 3194”.
Please kindly advise me for solve this problem and please help me because I was serious with this case.

Thank you.
ToTo

iPhoneHeat July 25, 2010, 1:39 am

it’s because, Apple is not more signing 4.0 🙂 use ur 4.0 SHSH to restore 4.0

versetti July 24, 2010, 10:20 pm

About month ago a I did Jailbreak iOS 4 Firmware with Sn0wBreeze 1.6, today I’ve checked my bootrom and it’s new!!!
My 3gs is working perfectly.
Any Ideas ??

versetti July 24, 2010, 10:43 pm

Before I was jailb. with blackra1n and soft 3.1.2
Is this important ??

Andrew.S.Kang July 30, 2010, 8:18 am

Hey guys. This is very important information.
If you have Iphone 3G, Do not try “Sn0wBreeze 1.6” yet.
I strongly suggest that you use “redsOnw”.
I have ISO 4.0 Iphone 3G/8gb and am a T-mobile ueser.
I did Jailbreak and Unlock and everything perfectly works.
Phone, Interent, Text message and Internet Tethering.
In conclusion,
if you have IOS4.0 or 4.0.1 Iphone 3G (not 3GS and 4G),

First, Jailbreak with “redsnOw”.
Second, Unlock with “ultrasnOw”.
Third, Install important APP.

That’s it.

And I do not suggest that you do not use IOS4.0 on Iphone 3G.
Because I have three reasons to support my opinion.

First, IOS4 is too heavy for Iphone 3G.
Second, Some of Iphone apps don’t work on IOS4.0.
Third, you will experience some of errors on IOS4.0.
(But not too serious)

Thanks.

P.S : If you have a chance, please edit my English. My English is not so good. Thanks again~

Andrew.S.Kang July 30, 2010, 8:21 am

And I do not suggest that you do not use IOS4.0 on Iphone 3G

-> And I do not suggest that you use IOS4.0 on Iphone 3G

Lizq8 August 11, 2010, 3:52 am

I have a jailbroken/unlocked 3gs iphone. I want to update firmware to iso 4 but don’t want to lose apps or data currently on my iphone. Isn’t thre a way I can just update my cydia app then add new firmware without losing my stuff on my iphone? Please help!