Since the release of Sn0wbreeze and PwnageTool that let you create custom firmware 4.0, 3.1.3 and older to jailbreak iPhone and iPod Touch, many of you has been asking on how to fix 1600, 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604 or 29 error during iPhone custom firmware restore.
This is what error reads:
The iPhone “-” could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (16xx).
To get rid of error 1600, 1601, 1602, 1603, 1604 or 29 during custom firmware restore follow the steps mentioned below.
Fix 16xx and 29 error During Custom Firmware Restore
We are listing all the possible fixes for 16.04, 16xx error when restoring a custom firmware below. Please read it first before trying.
I encountered 1604 error just once back in OS 3.1.2 days. Trying on another PC helped me in successfully restoring the CFW. So, if you have another PC or Mac, I suggest you to try on that computer first.
- Make sure to show hidden files under your folder options.
- Close the iTunes and disconnect your iDevice from your Computer.
- Go to the following directory:
Win 7 & Vista Users:
C:Users\*UsersName*\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\Device Support
Windows XP :
C:\Documents and Settings\*UserName*\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\Device Support or iPhone Software Updates
- Backup the files available in the folder and delete them from that folder.
- Put your iPhone into Recover Mode. and Restore the Custom firmware.
iPhone 3G, 2G and iPod Touch 1G, iPod Touch 2G users running OS 3.1.2 can use a handy little utility named iREB (iTunes Restore Error Bypasser) to get rid of error 16xx or 29:
- Download iREB
- Start iTunes and put your iPhone into DFU mode:
- Now close iTunes and Start iREB on your PC.
- Select your device and wait for a few seconds till you get white or a red screen on your iPhone.
- Open iTunes. Now press and hold left “alt” button (“Shift” button on Windows) on the keyboard and then click on “Restore” button in the iTunes. Select a custom firmware .ipsw file and restore it. Your 16xx or 29 errors are gone.
You may also try:
- Update your iTunes to latest version.
- Try again..
- Also try killing iTunes process in Task manager and iPod services after the error occurs. Reopen iTunes and try again..
- Try changing the USB port the or on another system.
- read out http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275
Here you can find ready made custom firmwares using PwnageTool:
If you want to jailbreak iPhone or iPod Touch 3.1.3 you can use RedSn0w, PwnageTool, Sn0wBreeze.. Jailbreak Guides linked below:
- Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 with PwnageTool 3.1.5
- Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 using RedSn0w 0.9.3
- Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 using RedSn0w 0.9.3 (Mac)
- Jailbreak iPod Touch 3.1.3 using RedSn0w 0.9.4
- Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 using Sn0wBreeze
- Jailbreak iPod Touch 3.1.3 using Sn0wBreeze
Have fun with jailbreaking and unlocking iPhone.