The iPhone OS 3.1 updates the iPhone Baseband (modem firmware) from 04.26.08 in iPhone OS 3.0 to 05.11.07. So iPhone you want to jailbreak and unlock your iPhone and yet update to OS 3.1 then wait for iPhone Dev team to release their updated version PwnageTool that let you update to the latest firmware without updating the Baseband.
Apple has released its brand new iPhone OS 3.1. The new iPhone OS 3.1 comes with a number of bug fixes and new features like Genius Recommendations, Genius Mixes, iTunes 9 support, organize apps and more.
- For all 3 generations of iPhone the firmware version is OS 3.1 (7C144)
- For all 3 generations of iPod Touch the firmware version is OS 3.1.1 (7C145)
Despite of some new features and bug fixes, it’s important to remember NOT to update your iPhone firmware to iPhone OS 3.1 if you have a jailbroken iPhone. If you update your firmware to OS 3.1 now you will likely lose you unlock or may be even jailbreak in case of iPhone 3GS.
We will keep you posted whenever there’s any update from iPhone Dev Team on unlocking & Jailbreaking iPhone OS 3.1 and which way is safe to follow the update.
The new Features of iPhone 3.1 firmware:
Genius Recommendations for Apps
Get recommendations for apps you might like based on apps you’ve already downloaded.
Have iTunes create up to 12 playlists based on what’s already in your library. You don’t even have to choose a sample song.
Download Ringtones Wirelessly
Choose from thousands of iPhone ringtones on the iTunes Store and buy them with a tap.
Organize Apps in iTunes
Use iTunes on your computer to drag apps onto virtual Home screens, then sync them to your iPhone.
- Improved syncing for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos
- iTunes U content organization
- Redeem iTunes Gift Cards, codes, and certificates in the App Store
- Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store
- Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll
- Option to “Save as new clip” when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS
- Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on
- Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe
- Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets
- Paste phone numbers into the keypad
- Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS
- Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing)
- Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
- Fixes issue that cause some app icons to display incorrectly
You can download iPhone OS 3.1 for free but for iPod users it is available for $4.95 for those who are already on iPhone OS 3.1.