iPhone Dev-Team has released their updated version of PwnageTool 3.1 to Jailbreak iPhone OS 3.1.
PwnageTool 3.1 currently supports, iPhone 2G (1st Gen iPhone), iPhone 3G and 1st gen iPod Touch only.
NB: THIS DOES NOT SUPPORT THE 3GS OR 2G/3G IPOD TOUCH. redsn0w for Mac OS X and Windows will follow sometime in the near future, please don’t bug us about it – we’ll release when we have something ready.
Dev-Team has posted the following details:
- GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a 3G iPhone with ultrasn0w and rely on ultrasn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should only upgrade to 3.1 with a PwnageTool created .ipsw. – Stay away from Apple’s direct updates as described here and here please get up to speed on the whole subject by reading the information contained in these posts.
- If you have an original iPhone (1st generation) then 3.1 unlock works with this PwnageTool release. iPhone 3G users upgrading to 3.1 will need to continue using ultrasn0w with a PwnageTool created 3.1 .ipsw
- Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools.
- Read items 1, 2 and 3 again and again.
- At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the 3.1 capable version of PwnageTool.
- This app is suitable for the recent 3.1 release.
- This version of PwnageTool will NOT work for the iPhone 3GS.
- PwnageTool WILL work for Original iPhone (1st Generation), Original iPod touch (1st Generation) and the iPhone 3G.
The ‘baseband’ is the generic nickname given to the internal components of the iPhone that handle the phone calls and Internet access. This ‘baseband’ is a tiny and unique independent computer system that runs inside your iPhone, it is separate to the main system that handles the applications (such as email and google maps) and it talks to the main part of the phone over an internal communications network. Think of it like a cable modem or other peripheral that is attached to your home PC that needs occasional updates. When a software update is released and presented to you within iTunes the baseband is sometimes updated (to fix bugs or add new features). The 3.1 update for the iPhone 3G contains such an update, so running the vanilla updater straight away with iTunes will reprogram and update the baseband.
SIM Free/SP Unlocked/Factory Unlocked iPhone 3G
This applies if you bought your iPhone 3G for $$$$$$$. This model of iPhone 3G doesn’t have an Service Provider lock (aka factory unlocked) and you are able to put any SIM card into the phone and get service. Your phone is already unlocked so you do not need to worry about baseband updates, simply upgrade to 3.1 using iTunes and then use PwnageTool to create an ipsw and then use this to jailbreak your phone.
iPhone 2G (1st Generation)
Use PwnageTool to do the magic and then restore with iTunes using your newly created .ipsw ‘nuff said, you don’t need to worry about anything, the baseband will be unlocked, the phone jailbroken.
iPod touch 1G (Original iPod Touch)
Use PwnageTool to create a firmware image and restore with that .ipsw using iTunes.
iPod touch 2G
Sorry, no support at this time within PwnageTool, use Redsn0w for an earlier (pre 3.1) firmware release instead.
iPod touch 3G (New iPod Touch)
Sorry, no support at this time within PwnageTool
Official Bittorrent Releases –
- SHA1 = ccc1e5db026362fc7eb9a40c76322b1fdcc90332