Apple has released the Beta version of iPhone OS 3.1 to developers along with he new SDK. A few details are provided about this release. However, we can expect that Apple has closed the exploit used by UltraSn0w to jailbreak iPhone 3G.
Some of the new features found in iPhone OS 3.1 includes:
- Non-destructive video editing: It means trimming a clip no longer saves over the original video but gives you the option to “Save as copy…”
- Voice Control now works over Bluetooth
- iPhone vibrates when moving icons
- Updated AT&T profile to 4.2
- Updated modem firmware to 5.08.01
- Improvements to OpenGL and Quartz.
- APIs to allow third party apps to access videos and edit them.
- Copy & Paste functions also work in the address book as well as in the numeric keypad of the phone application.
- Videos can be saved from e-mail attachments and stored.
- Find My iPhone feature, the audio alert Blasts at full volume regardless of what the ringer volume is set to.
- It does NOT fix the high pitched noise issue, I still hear it when locking my phone.
There are reports that MMS feature has been enabled for AT&T users but is buggy and hanging before the MMS is successfully sent.
iPhone Dev-Team warns all the iPhone users using UltraSn0w hack to stay away from any new Firmware including iPhone OS 3.1 Beta. Because updating firmware results in updated Baseband firmware so you lose your Unlock. So, iPhone 3G and 3GS users stay away from this update until Dev-Team releases updated tools that helps in preserving baseband version.
This warning doesn’t apply to iPhone 2G (first Gen iPhone users) as it uses BootNeuter for the unlock instead of UltraSn0w.