So finally, our heroes, The iPhone Dev-Team have related the updated version of Pwnage Tool to Jailbreak iPhone OS 3.0. Because of some uncertain changes and situations they are planning to released their tools in phases to Jailbreak iPhone OS 3.0 and have started with PwnageTool for Mac OS X to jailbreak iPhone OS 3.0. QuickPwn for Windows and Mac OS X is on its way and hitting internet really soon.
Download Links are available at the Bottom.
The following details can be found on iPhone Dev-Team blog about Jailbreaking iPhone OS 3.0.
1. GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a 3G iPhone with yellowsn0w and rely on yellowsn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should NOT use PwnageTool right now. UltraSn0w is not included with this release and therefore your baseband will be locked and unable to use an operator other than the official one it was bought for. UltraSn0w will be release via APT (cydia and icy) soon. If you have an original iPhone (1st generation) then 3.0 unlock works with this PwnageTool release.
2. Yellowsn0w in its current form will NOT work with the baseband version that is present in the 3.0 update, you will need Ultrasn0w, which will be released sometime soon, Ultrasn0w will work with all iPhone 3G models (but not 3GS), even ones that were previously unlockable, Ultrasn0w (when available) will be released via APT (this means you can get it via Cydia or Icy).
3. Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools.
4. Read items 1, 2 and 3 again and again.
5. At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the 3.0 capable version of PwnageTool.
6. This app is suitable for the recent 3.0 release.
7. PwnageTool will NOT work for the iPhone 3GS.
8. PwnageTool WILL work for Original iPhone (1st Generation), Original iPod touch (1st Generation) and the iPhone 3G.
The ‘baseband’ is the generic nickname given to the internal components of the iPhone that handle the phone calls and Internet access. This ‘baseband’ is a tiny and unique independent computer system that runs inside your iPhone, it is separate to the main system that handles the applications (such as email and google maps) and it talks to the main part of the phone over an internal communications network. Think of it like a cable modem or other peripheral that is attached to your home PC that needs occasional updates. When a software update is released and presented to you within iTunes the baseband is sometimes updated (to fix bugs or add new features). The 3.0 update for the iPhone 3G contains such an update, so running the vanilla updater straight away with iTunes will reprogram and update the baseband.
SIM Free/SP Unlocked/Factory Unlocked iPhone 3G
This applies if you bought your iPhone 3G for $$$$$$$. This model of iPhone 3G doesn’t have an Service Provider lock (aka factory unlocked) and you are able to put any SIM card into the phone and get service. Your phone is already unlocked so you do not need to worry about baseband updates, simply upgrade to 3.0 using iTunes and then use PwnageTool to create an ipsw and then use this to jailbreak your phone.
iPhone 2G (1st Generation)
Use PwnageTool to do the magic and then restore with iTunes using your newly created .ipsw ‘nuff said, you don’t need to worry about anything, the baseband will be unlocked, the phone jailbroken.
iPod Touch 1G (Original iPod Touch)
Use PwnageTool to create a firmware image and restore with that .ipsw using iTunes.
iPod Touch 2G (New iPod Touch)
Sorry, no support at this time within PwnageTool, use Redsn0w for an earlier (pre 3.0) firmware release instead.
We can explain the above stuff within few line as:
iPhone 3G S
iPhone 3G users can ONLY Jailbreak iPhone 3G OS 3.0 for now. If you don’t care about Unlocking your iPhone 3G OS 3.0 then go ahead and Jailbreak you iPhone 3G.
If you’re on unofficial carrier (not supported by iPhone) then we recommend you not to use PwnageTool for now because it will only Jailbreak iPhone 3G but will Lock it down. If you want to Unlock iPhone 3G OS 3.0 then you better wait until Dev-Team released UltraSn0w the Unlock solution for iPhone 3G 3.0. Then use this Pwnage to Jailbreak and UltraSn0w to Unlock iPhone 3G 3.0.
iPhone 2G (1st Generation iPhone)
You can use this PwnageTool to Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 2G.
As the Tools are just released so proceed with caution after reading Golden Rules. and if you’re going to give it a shot then don’t forget to let us know who it went. Drop us some lines.
ok that’s it for now. Lets see how many jailbroken apps are still there for iPhone OS 3.0. Stay tuned at iPhoneHeat.com for further updates on PwnageTool and QuickPwn.
Download PwnageTool for Mac OS X