How to Jailbreak/Unlock iPhone 2G OS 3.0 with PwnageTool 3.0 (MAC)

In this iPhone tutorial, you will learn how to Jailbreak/ Unlock iPhone 2G running iPhone OS 3.0.

This iPhone Guide is for iPhone 2G (1st gen iPhone) owner running Mac OS X ONLY.

Update: (Nov 6 2009)

Please navigate to the latest Guide for latest iPhone firmware:

Windows Users with iPhone 2G please Navigate to:

iPhone 3G users navigate to:

This iPhone Guide is meant for MAC OS X users ONLY because PwnageTool is not yet supported with Windows and there’s no QuickPwn 3.0 out yet which supports Windows.

Make sure your iTunes is Latest 8.2 before stating Jailbreak & Unlock iPhone 2G running iPhone OS 3.0. If it is not, go and upgrade it from here.

Download following files:

You can download iPhone OS 3.0 from iPhone Firmwares, for your convenience here’s the direct link for iPhone OS 3.0 for iPhone 2G: (It’s recommended that you download it using Firefox)
iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw

Create a folder on your desktop Put all above downloaded files into it.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-00

How to Jailbreak/Unlock iPhone 2G OS 3.0

Step 1

Double click PwnageTool dmg file to mount it

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-01

Step 2

Click and drag the PwnageTool icon to Pwnage Folder you created and then open it from there.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-02

Warning Box will Popup. Just hit the OK button.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-03

Step 3

Make sure you select Expert Mode from Top menu

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-04

Step 4
Select your device i.e: iPhone 2G. A big Green check mark will appear on the selected device.
Now hit the big Blue Arrow button at bottom right to proceed.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-05

Step 5
On the next page Pwnage Tool will automatically find the IPSW file. If not found then click “Browse for IPSW” button and select the downloaded IPSW file: iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-06

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-07

A check mark will appear next to it. Then hit Blue Arrow Button to proceed.
unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-08

Step 6
On the next page you will have 6 choices. Select the General and hit Blue Arrow Button to proceed.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-09

Step 7
On the next Page you can decide your Root Partition Size where OS resides. Click activate the phone and Disable partition wipe-out.

***For the 3.0 firmware you may have to increase the size of your root partition slightly for the IPSW build to be successful. 598MB worked just fine for me***
***If the Enable Baseband check box is not greyed out, checkmark it. This allows the unlock to occur!***

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-10

Then Hit the Blue Arrow Button to proceed.

On the next page i.e. Bootneuter settings, select Neuter bootloader, Unlock baseband, and Auto-Delete BootNeuter.app. Upgrading Bootloader is not necessary .
Then Hit the Blue Arrow Button to proceed.
unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-11

The next screen will show the Cydia settings menu. It allows you to create custom packages so you do not have to manually install them later.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-12

Go to Download packages tab.and hit the Refresh button to display all the available packages. Double click your desired package, it will be downloaded and will be available under the Select Packages tab.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-13

When you have downloaded your desired packages, go back to Select Packages tab and check mark the ones you want.
unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-14

then hit the Blue Arrow Button to proceed.

Custom Packages Settings will displays listed package settings for your custom IPSW. Leave these settings as is for now. Just click the Blue Arrow Button to proceed.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-15

On the next Custom Logos Settings menu, you’ll be able to add your own images as boot logos. Click the Browse button to select your Boot logo and Recovery logo. I just use defaults so deselected all options.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-16

Click the blue arrow button to continue.

Step 8
Nowyou are  ready to build your custom firmware. Click the build button to select it, then click the blue arrow button to proceed.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-17

Step 9
If this is the first time doing this, you will be asked to upload the Bootloader 3.9 and Bootloader 4.6 files.

When prompted to search the web, click NO.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-18

You will prompted to browse for the Bootloader v3.9 file. Click Yes then select the downloaded (BL-39.bin) file from the Pwnage folder you created on your desktop and click the Open button.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-19

Do the same for Bootloader v4.6.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-20

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-21

***: After loading the 4.6 BL you may be asked if you’re a legit user. If you legally have AT&T or an iPhone plan in a different country, clicking yes will not unlock the iPhone and activate it as your legal plan already activates it and there is no need for an unlock. However if you wish to keep the iPhone unlocked, when asked if you’re a legit iPhone user, click NO.

Step10
When both Bootloader files are found, you will be asked to Save your custom .ipsw file. Save it to the same Pwnage folder.
unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-22

Step 11
Pwnage will start building your custom firmware. Wait until it’s done.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-23

If prompted enter your Administrator password and click the OK button.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-24

When prompted if your iPhone has been Pwned before, Click No. It allows for a more thorough restore.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-25

Step 12
Be ready to follow directions now.
Then You will be asked to turn off the device. Make sure it is connected to the USB port.
It will ask you to hold the home button and the power button for 10 seconds. Then, you will have to release the power button and hold the home button for 10 seconds to enter DFU Mode.
unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-26

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-27

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-28

If you failed to follow the instruction, it will show you a message asking if you want to retry?. Click Yes.
Unplug the iPhone from the USB. Turn it OFF, then turn it back ON. Reconnect it to USB and turn OFF the iPhone when prompted.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-29

When followed correctly, Pwnage 2.0 will display a message telling your that it successfully entered DFU mode. iTunes will also pop-up.
unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-30

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-31

Step 13
In iTunes, hold the Alt/Option key and hit Restore.

unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-32

Step 14
from the popup window, browse to the Pwnage Folder and select you custom .ipsw file that you just created (iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Custom_Restore.ipsw) and click Open Button.
unlock-iphone-2g-os-30-33

Step 15
Once the restore has completed, it will restart your iPhone. The phone will then launch BootNeuter.app to unlock your device.

Please allow 5 minutes for this to complete. Your iPhone will restart once completed.

That’s it. You have jailbreak and Unlocked iPhone 2G running iPhone OS 3.0.

Have fun with iPhone OS 3.0 and jailbreak iPhone 2g and don’t forget to leave your comments.

Jailbreak iOS 4.0

Unlock iOS 4.0

Update 1: Jailbreak iOS 4 with PwnageTool

Update 2: Jailbreak iPhone 3GS iOS 4 with PwnageTool

Update 3: Jailbreak iPhone 3G iOS 4 with PwnageTool

Update 4: UltraSn0w 0.93: Unlock iPhone 3GS, 3G (All Baseband)

Update 5: Unlock iPhone 3G iOS 4 with UltraSn0w 0.93

Update 6: Unlock iPhone Baseband 05.13.04 with UltraSn0w 0.93

Update 7: Unlock iPhone Baseband 05.12.01 with UltraSn0w

Update 8:
UltraSn0w 1.0-1 is OUT now.
How to: Unlock iPhone 4 iOs 4.0.1 with UltraSn0w 1.0-1 Baseband 01.59.00

Jack June 21, 2009, 4:46 am

Thanks for the Great Info..
Worked like a charm..
You guyz Rocks!

serkangulec June 21, 2009, 5:06 am

I have gone through whats written above, but i am not getting any signal nor i can not connect to wifi? any suggestions?

iPhone Heat June 21, 2009, 6:26 am

@ serkangulec
If you came up with no error.. Then there’s something wrong with you Custom ipsw you created..
Why don’t you retry or please explain a lil. more.

ron` June 21, 2009, 3:02 pm

Hi. Im a noob at jailbreaking iPhones. I have an iPhone 2G with firmware version 1.1.4 installed. I used Ziphone to unlock and jailbreak it.

Now, I want to update the firmware to 3.0. How do I go about doing it? Do I need to restore it first to 3.0 and then follow the instructions above or should I simply follow the instructions (no preparations required)?

Thanks in advance!

iPhone Heat June 21, 2009, 11:25 pm

@ ron`
Just follow the instructionm.. don’t worry about the old firmware

Andrew June 22, 2009, 6:14 am

The instructions were straight forward.. easy to follow… jailbreak within 15 minutes… the fastest, smoothest and most enjoyable jailbreak experience i ever had

Paul Burney June 23, 2009, 2:25 am

Great walkthrough. I have one question you might be able to help with:

I have an AT&T contract but would like to unlock the phone so I can swap out the SIM when traveling out of the country. At this step:

“However if you wish to keep the iPhone unlocked, when asked if you’re a legit iPhone user, click NO.”

If I select NO, will the existing SIM still work with AT&T/be automatically activated or will I have to get it manually activated somehow.

Thanks in advance,

-Paul

Jeevan June 24, 2009, 4:02 am

These instructions were great! It worked 🙂
Thanks 🙂

Phil June 28, 2009, 11:15 pm

Works like a breeze! I originally bought my iPhone 2G unlocked with Zipphone then upgraded to 2.1 with Pwnage Tool and now to 3.0 with Pwnage Tool and everything went smooth each and every time! Thanks Dev Team, much much much appreciated!!! ;D to stevie jobs

Leonid June 30, 2009, 5:44 am

I tried unlocking my iPhone 2G using the steps as enumerated above… but in Step 11 when the Pwnage Tool is starting to build my custom FW, Pwnage just stopped and automatically exited! I tried the process again but each time I reach Step 11, same thing happens — everything stops! I just cant get Pwnage to continue past Step 11. What gives? Please help. Thanks.

lily July 1, 2009, 5:37 am

if you do not have an at&t sim (i only have a tmobile one – there is currently none in the phone) will this still work? i know that if i connect it to itunes it does not show up due to not having an at&t sim, so i am doubtful that step 13 will work…anyone?

(background: i have an iphone 2g that i got from someone else, i do not know what firmware they were using, i do not have any way to check since i do not have an at&t sim)

mike July 2, 2009, 2:35 am

when i try to download the bootloaders it says page does not exist. how can i do it then

iPhone Heat July 2, 2009, 2:53 am

Links fixed…

Pino July 2, 2009, 10:39 pm

works great thanks!! for everything, it’s very much appreciated. best regards form mexico

Meng July 6, 2009, 8:03 pm

I’m not the hi-tech type but your step by step instruction really makes it very simple to follow. Thanks a million. But i have another problem…. My 2G Iphone is unable to sync with my existing playlist. ANyway to solve this?

bithead July 10, 2009, 10:11 pm

Great walkthrough! Other tools work also, but this one is well documented with a predictable and smooth outcome.

Thanks!

eric July 13, 2009, 8:39 pm

Hi,
Walk through was great! My phone seems to be jailbroken since it has ICY and Cydia installed. However, when I take a friends T-mobile SIM card and put it in my phone, my phone says No Service on the top instead of T-Mobile. Is there something that I could have done wrong in the process?

BootNeuter seemed to have run with no issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric

iPhone Heat July 13, 2009, 9:18 pm

@eric
retry or try RedSn0w guide for Windows/Mac

Eric July 13, 2009, 9:32 pm

Is there anything special required to retry?

Thanks for the quick response!

-Eric

iPhone Heat July 13, 2009, 10:55 pm

nothing special..
—–
and if it doesn’t work after the second try.. then google for RedSn0w for Mac and download it. Use that RedSn0w and follow this guide:
above is a Windows guide but RedSn0w part is the same in Mac and Windows.
Perform a simple restore via iTunes using OS 3.0 ipsw. run the RedSn0w for Mac.. and follow the RedSn0w part of the guide (the link provided above)

Eric July 14, 2009, 8:17 am

Well I tried redsn0w and it seemed to have worked…until I turned the phone off and it would not boot back up! (Thankfully the restore to factory settings revived it!)

Here is a silly question – Does my SIM card need to be removed from the phone during either of these hacks?

Thanks again for the help!

iPhone Heat July 14, 2009, 3:17 pm

@ Eric
no need to… I did the process with the SIM card inserted.. However to can give that way a shot.

Anthony July 14, 2009, 11:08 am

Hello,
I have a 2G w/ 3.0 it’s unlocked, i’m using a tmobile sim. will this jailbreak work for me or does it need to have an att&t sim in during the process?

Eric July 14, 2009, 7:43 pm

Hi,
I think it worked this time! When I stick in the T-Mobile SIM card it now says “No Service” instead of “No SIM” in the top left of the iPhone.

My justification for thinking this is that I believe the T-Mobile SIM card needs to be “activated” with a certain iPhone – meaning I wont be able to get T-Mobile service on any phone particular phone without calling them up first.

If the phone was still locked, it theoretically would have just said “No SIM.”

Thanks again for the help!

Best,
Eric

iPhone Heat July 14, 2009, 8:53 pm

@ Eric..
why don’t you try another Sim of a different carrier to find out the exact issue.

Eric July 14, 2009, 9:10 pm

hmm…I only know someone with a T-mobile SIM.

Is the expected behavior to to just take any non-AT&T SIM card and stick it into an iPhone and it just work – without having to contact the non-AT&T carrier?

I currently have my iPhone’s serial number activated with an AT&T plan. The SIM card I am testing with was taken from an unlocked iPhone which is activated on a T-Mobile plan.

Has anyone used a SIM from another carrier in there AT&T activated iPhone? I am curious what happened when they did.

Thanks!
-Eric

iPhone Heat July 15, 2009, 1:11 am

@ Eric
the only thing that happens is .. they get Network signals at top-left of their iPhone screen :p
My brother is in a country where Apple hasn’t launch the iPhone yet but he’s using iPhone 2G there.. This guide made that possible..

EDIT…..
Wait a min..
If you’re trying T-Mobile Sim.. had you disabled 3G network before attempting the Jailbreak/unlock guide?

Eric July 15, 2009, 1:57 am

I had not disabled any settings in the network before jailbreaking and unlocking.

So you think if even though it says “No Service” with a t-mobile sim, that it is not really unlocked?

Putting the t-mobile sim in the phone before performing the jailbreak, all it said was “No Sim”

hmm…

Eric July 15, 2009, 2:06 am

I figured it out! I don’t know why this works but it did!

Turn the phone off. Put in the T-Mobile SIM card. Turn the phone back on. When it reboots, hold down power and home to do the emergency power down.

When I turned it back on, i had the T-Mobile carrier info.

Thanks a lot for all of your help!

I hope these comments will be able to help others!

-Eric

iPhone Heat July 15, 2009, 3:11 am

Welcome to Jailbreak community Eric..

Emilee July 16, 2009, 10:35 am

Hello all! I have the old iPhone 2g that I’m planning on giving my little sister. She just wants it for the camera and iPod and whatnot (features that don’t require internet or a phone plan) and probably so she can be the only 6th grader in her school with an iPhone :-] Im just wondering if i jailbreak my old phone if it will enable her to use it in that way. or if she’s going to have to buy a plan for it.

iPhone Heat July 16, 2009, 5:59 pm

@Emilee

Go ahead and jailbreak ur 2G

miles July 19, 2009, 4:44 pm

HELP!
I am the same as Leonid above on June 30th.
I follow these excellent steps, everything is working just fine until step 11.
While it is building the firmware, Pwnage just unexpectedly quits and stops.
I have tried it 4 times and each time the same. It also skips step 9, and doesn’t ask for the bootloader files, even though i have them.

What can I do?
I am using a Powerbook G4.
thanks
miles

andy August 1, 2009, 9:39 am

I tried to unlock my iphone 2g using this guide.

I can get the custom restore built but when i put it into itunes i get an error (1600) when it is trying to update.

zenon August 5, 2009, 4:10 pm

Unlock and jailbreak of my 2G worked perfectly – thanks. BUT iphone now seems a lot more sluggish than before. Anyone else experience this?

Ashley August 15, 2009, 1:14 pm

so the bootloader prompt never came up for me.. what should i do?

iPhone Heat August 16, 2009, 12:25 am

@ Ashley
Probably You’re doing something wrong..
Why don’t you try the Windows based guide..

Luis August 17, 2009, 11:27 pm

Works perfect¡ I upgraded my 2G iPhone directly from 1.1.4 and everything works so far. Wifi, SMS, EDGE, make and receive calls, navigation, downloads…. everything works just as it was before upgrading to 3.0. Thnx

chante August 20, 2009, 10:23 am

it worked…i called my voicemail, then all of a sudden it stopped working and now it says no sim…HELP!

I have a 2g iphone with 3.0 on it, unlocked it to use tmobile…

I dont understand…it worked for 2 minutes then stopped!

Anna August 29, 2009, 10:08 am

if it tells you that your cellular data plan does not work, check out these links!
I did it, it worked amazingly and supereasy, and I am such a happy kitten now!!!
Anna

Josi September 2, 2009, 2:42 am

I have a cracked 2G iphone with 2.0.2 OS. (I bought it in the USA for use in Canada and I had it cracked by a company that charges $70 each time I bring it in to update the OS on my cracked phone.) Which download do I use? Your title specifies ‘Unlock iPhone 2G running iPhone OS 3.0’ on a Mac.
Do you have a ‘Unlock iPhone 2G running OS 2.0’?
I am so computer illiterate. Help!
Josi

iPhone Heat September 2, 2009, 6:07 am

Josi..
Just follow the instruction.. it will help you updating to 3.0 and then ulocking..

Tyson September 17, 2009, 10:24 am

I can’t get it to go into DFU mode successfully, I have tried a ton. Any suggestions?

zimyad September 18, 2009, 8:47 pm

actually 6days before i erase my all content n settings
thn i installed firmware version 1_3.1 in my iphone 2g 8gb memory
bt my device is locked
i dont knw how to unlock can any one help me please?
i have seen many webs bt no founded any type of way
to unblock new version 1_3.1 🙁

notorious September 30, 2009, 7:04 pm

Thanks so much for these very clear instructions. The steps worked perfectly. Removed the SIM tray. Popped in a T-Mobile SIM that was activated as a G1. Worked immediately.

Could not be happier.

Master Wobble October 18, 2009, 12:42 am

Superb instructions. Works like a charm. My only question is: When I plug the phone (now running on T-Mobile) up to the Mac to recharge and update iTunes shows a screen that says “An iPhone has been previously synced with this computer. Then there are two button choices, “Set up as a new iPhone” and “Restore from the backup of Bob’s iPhone”. It shows the phone number from the old AT&T SIM card I removed and says “Last Synced: Yesterday 2:10 PM” which was when I did the unlock procedure. I’m concerned that if I click on “Restore from the backup of Bob’s iPhone” it will restore the phone to the settings before I did the unlock. What do I do at this point?

iPhone Heat October 18, 2009, 4:01 pm

@ master..
Restoring backup doesn’t play with unlock/jailbreak. It just restore ur backed up stuff.

Super Hot November 4, 2009, 1:49 pm

That was so easy and extremely fast…AAAA++++

Edwin November 11, 2009, 10:23 am

Thanks, for your help unlocking my IPhone. I have one small situation, when I try to backup from ITunes, I get a warning that I cannot backup because the software is too old. It also states I should set up as new phone and update to the latest version.
What option, if any, should I make?

iPhoneHeat November 11, 2009, 10:20 pm

Update to latest OS 3.1.2.. you’ll find the guide under iPhone Guides at the top

Jeremy November 19, 2009, 10:31 am

Thank you so so much…really thought I had screwed my phone for good!! Very good instructions SO LONG AS YOU FOLLOW THEM CORRECTLY!
Thanks again.

GLO November 30, 2009, 12:40 am

How do I do this with iTunes 9.0.2? When I get to the part to “restore” it just says the file is incompatible and won’t allow me to go further…
Thanks.

iPhoneHeat November 30, 2009, 12:32 pm

Why not follow the latest guide linked at the top of this guide under Update?

Tato December 7, 2009, 9:25 pm

Hi the pwnagetool craches right in step 11. I began from cero again but the problem persist can you assist me with what can the problem be

iPhoneHeat December 8, 2009, 3:27 am

If you’re having trouble with PwnageTool you can try ready to use custom firmwares:

Tato December 14, 2009, 10:38 pm

Thanks alot it worked just perfectly just as you said it will.

stefan December 9, 2009, 4:34 pm

Hi, can I jailbreak/unlock my iPhone 2G firm 1.1.4 (previously unlocked) directly to 3.0?
Thanks

iPhoneHeat December 9, 2009, 10:58 pm

follow the latest guide for 3.1.2 under jailbreak category

CharlyH January 2, 2010, 7:16 pm

Loves this! Thanks so much. Its really easy to do and works perfectly.

trishk22 January 15, 2010, 4:05 am

Your instructions worked perfect. I don’t know why I waited so long!

My unlocked and jailbroken G2 phone was working perfect and then all of the sudden it went to the Pineapple screen and now I can’t do anything with. Can’t turn it off, re-start, nothing! I let the battery completely run out but when I charge it up, it just comes back to the Pineapple screen. iTunes doesn’t recognized it.

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Trish

iPhoneHeat January 16, 2010, 12:21 am

checkout the jailbreak category and follow that latest guide for OS 3.1.2

trust January 29, 2010, 8:55 am

i followed the steps. got in unlocked and jailbroken. i was downloading some themes and then the phone blanked out. i restarted it and i get the pineapple screen. it just restarts then restarts then restarts. never ending. it goes nowhere…. any more ideas to help me out here?

iPhoneHeat January 30, 2010, 5:08 am

check out the jailbreak iPhone category.. and follow the RedSn0w or BlackRa1n guide

doggybag January 31, 2010, 9:11 pm

just wanted to say “thanks” I followed your precise instructions and managed to get myself out of a very sticky brick like situation ….

alex February 5, 2010, 11:35 am

Amazingly simplified instructions!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
It worked like a charm…now i am on 3GS and i gave old 2g iphone to my wife after unlocking it!
thanks a lot guys!
Great job.

anthony May 12, 2010, 3:10 am

thank you thank you thank you!

your step by step instructions worked amazingly well!

please follow exactly and you wont be disappointed!

Kms616 May 18, 2010, 7:37 pm

Hi,

I followed all your steps and it all went fine but my phone doesn’t restart at the end.
It is stucked on the “connect to itunes” screen with a message “No SIM card install, insert a valid SIM with no PIN lock to activate iphone”

I’m in France using ‘Bouygues’ network and it doesn’t accept my SIM card

Should I do it again with my card in from the beggining or did I do something wrong.
Any help?
Thx

iPhoneHeat May 18, 2010, 10:57 pm

use RedSn0w jailbreak

Fix Your iTunes August 18, 2010, 3:28 am

So what do I do to jailbreak and unlock my iPhone 3GS? I want to buy the new iPhone 4 which I can now my contract is up and want to jailbreak and unlock the 3GS and sell it on ebay. I think I can get a good deal on it but is it safe to unlock and jailbreak phones? I’m hearing from folks here and there and noone seems to want to give me any advice but most folks are doing it. Any help is appreciated …

Destroy Rock And Roll August 18, 2010, 8:31 pm

Does anyone know if you can unlock and jailbreak an iPhone 4G? Either way I have the iPhone 3GS and I love it but I’m tempted to upgrade to the iPhone 4G but something has been keeping me from doing it but I just might upgrade even though it’s got some probs. If I can jailbreak and unlock the iPhone 4G I just might. What do you think?

esp November 7, 2010, 12:04 pm

i got to connecting my phone to the usb and its been sitting there for a long ass time…

Nightwingo November 18, 2010, 2:26 pm

Thanks for that…happy to see my iPhone 2g activated on 3.0. I have 2g, 3gs and iPhone 4. All jailbreaking and just one unlock so far,